chapter 33

Eva's POV...

How did life come to this?

As I sat in that prison cell, I couldn't understand why and how I was in there.

The accusations placed against me, were shocking?
Where could I possibly take money worth millions?

They say whatever one goes through, it is life that is trying to teach them something, but what was I learning from a prison cell?
The people who were supposed to be my family had turned on me, the company that I served with all my life had been the reason for my imprisonment.
I was devastated, humiliated, and embarrassed, I couldn't even look myself in the mirror, without crying.

" Come out!'' the officer who was standing at the door, shouted.

" Ahh?" I looked up at her.

" You have been bailed out," she informed me.

" By who?" I was filled with amusement, as I stood up.

" Do you want to go or you are enjoying your stay here?"

" Mwa yenda pa mene apa ba Eva?" One of the girls I had found there asked.
( You are going already Eva?)

" Yes, someone bailed me out," I smiled.

" Bantu ba ndalama siba ngakale mu no," the other one spoke," neze na Ku uza chani boi?" And they laughed.

( People with money can't stay here, what did I tell you, my friend,)

I was first taken to get my slippers and phone, then we went to the inspector's office to sign some documents.

It is there that I met daddy and Nanny Dorothy.

Who else Could bail me out, if not them?
Though I was upset with them, they still saved me.
After seeing their face, I couldn't hold it within me, so I immediately started crying.

" Come here my darling," nanny Dorothy pulled me in an embrace.

" Am innocent, I promise I don't know anything about the accounts," I cried as daddy joined the embrace.

" I know my dear, that's why we are here," he whispered as I was now buried in his arms.

We signed the documents and I was released.

" You are coming home with us," daddy told me, as we were heading out.

" Yes dear," nanny Dorothy seconded.

" No, I can't," I stopped walking," I didn't leave home because of the accusations," I took a long deep breath," I can't still come to terms with the fact that,..... I am not your daughter,"

" Eva, as I told you, all that doesn't count to me, whether blood-related or not, you will always be my daughter," he comforted, holding my shoulder.

" Remember what I always told you, family are not just the people you are born with, it can be those related through marriage and adoption," nanny Dorothy added.

" If you had told me earlier, especially when I was younger, It wouldn't have been difficult to accept, but you allowed me to grow, making it hard for me to leave with it," I cried, "am sorry, when time is right, I will come back, for now, I'm still trying to leave with myself,"

" I will wait!" He shouted as he watched me run away.

" Eva please come back!'' nanny Dorothy shouted as she was chased after me.

" Dorothy stop!"

********

" Eva?" Chris called after opening the door," I was going to come and check on you....,"
Before he could finish, I hugged him.

" Did you eat something?" He asked after we had entered inside.

" I wasn't hungry," I smiled," I need to take a shower,"

" Sure, you do that and I will prepare for you, something to eat," he returned my smile.

" Ok," I nodded and walked away.

*******......

Two weeks later...

Chris had arrived earlier from work, that afternoon.

" Babe?" I smiled, standing up.

He didn't look as he always did.
At a glance, you could tell that something wasn't right.

What has Sam done this time? I thought to myself.

" Hi, Eva?" He greeted sitting down.

Hi Eva? Was he insane? I was babe, not Eva, what had happened to him that made him forget that?

" Are you alright?" I asked sitting next to him.

He hit me a glance and looked away.

" Chris please say something, you are scaring me," I sighed.

" Eva? Mmmmm sorry," he apologized, still not looking at me.

" For what?" I asked swallowing.

" Rabbecca is...... pregnant," he said, now staring at me.

" And so? Why are you..... telling me about it?" I asked, tears forming in my eyes, as I prayed, it wasn't what I was thinking.

" She is pregnant...... with my baby," he whispered but louder.

" No,..... it's not..... true," I cried, standing up.

" Eva!" He stood up as well.

" No..... It's not true," I continued shouting, as I walked backward.

" Am sorry,"

Those words were like a go-ahead for me.
I ran out, not looking back.

Seriously life, why me? What did I do to deserve all this? Even the only person I trusted? No this was too much to handle.
He told me he loved me, so how could he get Becca pregnant? Partners who love don't cheat, so why would he do it? No this was just too much......

The more I ran, the lighter I felt.
Running was my way of fighting pain, even from the time I was a little girl.
It was less violent but the body weakening.
Imagine you are hating inside and you add up such physical torture.

As I ran, I couldn't see or hear anyone but the pain inside me.
No one could make me stop unless I came down.

As I ran faster, towards the main road, an incoming car hit me and I fell unconscious......

Finally done 😅.
I hate this part, but it just had to be part of the book.
Glad it has passed.
How did you find it? Comment.
We are heading to part two, the same book, but a different side of life 😅let me not be a spoiler.
Don't miss any of the coming chapters.
Please vote and share...