Desire to Live

When Sunny and I arrived in Ambermoor, it didn't take long until the next event occurred. Luckily, I could consider it something positive.
Agent Brianna of the Order of the Ruby Star returned to us with her team. She was the corn-woman who helped us defeat the agents in the warehouse. It's scary to think what would have happened if we didn't capture the blue crystal in time. I would have transformed into a monster, apparently.
However, something is missing. Professor Empress Cat isn't with us anymore. Last time she trained my friends and I use the guns when we fought the evil agents, but now that she's gone, I feel wistful. She was also the one who made the remark about Necrotic Affinity with Agent Brianna. I hope she is still alive.
Additionally, Ma'am Caroline Sussier and Sir Sally Kergalon, the superb detective duo, is deceased. They were apart of the police force and lost their lives in the battle against Zoe Pellenie, who was presumably a spirit as well.
Last time Leo and Isabella helped defuse the powerbox in the warehouse, which helped us escape and enter in the first place. But now Leo is gone forever and Isabella traumatized. We also lost many of our schoolmates. And I, I lost my little brother Posa and found out the truth about my parents. After having gained this information, I want to have hope. I still have a family. I'm not talking about Herastina, I am talking about my friends. We all went through this together. We experienced so much as a group. We lost our close friend Max, who turned out to be a villain, and many more things.
There is something I still don't get. Why didn't Max die after he told me his story in St. Davids Cathedral?
He told me spirits die if their true identities are revealed, but he didn't die when he told me.
The more I thought about it, I came up with a theory. Perhaps I don't count as a witness due to my power. I obsess Necrotic Affinity, which gives me the ability to control dark matters and conjure stuff. I still don't know much about it, but I wrote some notes in my diary. I can conjure scythes, like Sweet Wartalon, and I can create potions, which gives me the power to kill people in a limited time by just touching them. That's how I killed Stellar Lunatrack (Floof's clone) and Sunny Hawkwolf. Luckily, Sunny was resurrected by Fault. But Stellar sadly didn't survive the freak accident. I still feel guilty about it. I suppose I will take that burden to my grave.
I also recently found out that I can turn living organisms into ash, but it only happens at moments I need it urgently. Perhaps my power is connected with emotions?
There is another thing I was thinking about. As Fault's resurrection attempts to recover Moss never worked, she lost her power. I want to know what her new power is and why she lied to us when Rain asked her about Moss's death. Since I gathered theories about Moss being alive, Fault must have known about it too, since she loved Moss. I'm not sure if I am correct, but what if Moss left and told Fault to never tell anyone about it, but Fault became melancholic and tried to somehow bring her back.
Since resurrecting kind of teleports someone back, she thought it must work with someone alive too, but it seems it failed.
Oh well, today I will ask her what her new superpower is. We are already a week in the new training schedule. After Herastina left Ambermoor, the Order of the Ruby Star ordered the Academy of Essence to train us to strong soldiers. They also made sure no one could enter or leave Ambermoor unless they have a special reason to. This is to avoid more refugees. A lot of people have already left Ambermoor, so it's plausible. But I am kind of scared. Ambermoor seems like a military camp now. So many intimidating men, women, and others are here watching over us, and most of them aren't even human. Some are anthropogenic, mystical creatures.
The reason why the military is here is because of the skyscraper next to our school. Apparently it's the hideout of the Order of the Graceful Eternity. In short, the evil organisation. It is presumed that all the incidents that occured here are connected to that building, and I completely agree.
Except for Malinda, the psycho nurse, who was obsessed with Master Novius, everyone else must have been connected to it in some way. The building also transcends time. When my friends and I traveled back in time, that weird building followed us. It came with us, which kind of messed up the timeline a bit.
I also have a feeling that we are the reason the blue girl died. I remember seeing a missing poster on the ground near our school.
It had a blue girl on it, who is presumed to be Annabelle Dawnspell. Her cause of death was impact. She was pushed off of a skyscraper in Ambermoor. And the only skyscraper we have is that black building.
Additionally, the night Diva Cinderblood died, was when a woman went missing. Her name was Mira Dawnspell. It was Annabelle's mother. She was found dead months later in Hillwillow. The autopsy mentioned that Mira was strangled by something slimy. They assume it was a tentacle.
Both Annabelle and her mother, plus Diva, were survivors of Swanford. They escaped from the disaster that was caused by an evil spirit and came to Ambermoor.
The rest of Annabelle's family died in Swanford. Her father Francis died a long time ago, and her sister Alice died due to her esophagus being infected. Her other siblings were murdered in Swanford by the spirit, just like every other resident except for Annabelle, Mira, and Diva.
It seems like whoever caused destruction in Swanford had ordered someone to take care of the survivors, because now all three survivors died. I suppose they were fated to die.
The only person who's still alive and related to the family in any way is Annabelle's boyfriend. He used to take care of her before she died. Annabelle suffered under the Guillain-Barré-Syndrome, so she was in a wheelchair. Her boyfriend took care of her. However, the investigation team still hasn't figured out who her boyfriend was, except for me. When I travelled back in time, I saw both of them, and Annabelle called him Nathaniel.
Nevertheless, it's kind of ironic, because the building stands out a lot and does not look like a hideout at all. Anyhow, we are supposed to fight the evil organisation soon since we are one of the only people in Ireland who possess magical powers. I guess not many people are familiar with magic out of Ambermoor or London yet.
Due to the suspicions the skyscraper being the headquarters of the evil organisation, we have a lot of soldiers staying guard around it, in case someone leaves.
However, I have never seen anyone leave or enter that building before. Plus, the building is black and metallic. The windows are glowing in neon-blue. It looks weird and futuristic, while the valley looks ancient compared to it.
Today, we have Professor Rae Justice, our biology teacher, and Professor Sage Nicholas as our instructors.
The whole school is getting training. For example Headmaster Jazz Doodles, Agent Brianna and the gym teacher Sir Quinn Redburn are the instructors of Tokyo and Zach's class. Class 37.
However, the agents said that in the end only a total of 15-25 trained students can go inside the black building. The others will have to stay guard outside or come in after the lower floors are cleared already. Apparently, the better we are at training, the easier it will be for us to enter a good university.
I don't think they realize that we are misfits of society and that the Academy of Essence is a mix of high school and university.
Either way, every time I think about my deceased friends, it tears me up. And what sucks, is that the instructors always read the outdated absentee list.
I always hear the names of my deceased students getting called, but none of us dare to tell them that they are gone forever, so we just stay silent. But today, I want to tell them to cross them off the list. I just can't take it anymore. Since most of the time our instructors are different agents, they don't know our case, but that's why I want to tell them today. We have the student profiles in the back and a book of the profiles and our classroom picture, so I can always remember my classmates and my teachers. Luckily, all of the students and teachers are in it. At least I will have some good memories to look back to, my school-picture-book.
"Hello, students of the Academy of Essence."
We are introduced by a different agent today. His name is Cary Lynnifen. Our instructors for today are our two teachers and an agent.
"We'll go through the absence list, so please make some kind of noise if you're here." Agent Cary took out a list of names and laid it onto the podium.
Mr. Nicholas and Mr. Justice are standing next to him a bit farther behind.
I have to admit, I don't really like this new system, but at least we still get treated as normal adolescents and young adults.
We are in the Power Classroom. Mr. Mercury Dirize used to teach us here all the time. He was our homeroom teacher. I remember how he used to talk about his wonferful wife Napari all the time. Sadly she's widowed now due to the incident where Mr. Dirize lost his life.
Our second teacher was Ms. Cat, before she left us. We all adored her.
Now it's Mr. Justice. I hope at least he will be our teacher for a while.
We are all sitting in our assigned seats. Even though all of the alive students are here, our classroom still looks empty. I am sitting next to Mujunii and Zoom, as I used to. Behind me was Audacious Terrawood. He used to sit there before he died. I liked talking to him. I still remember when he morphed from the yellow being to the white being with the dino hat. He just changed his whole look after our pictures were taken, so he looks unrecognizable, which is a bit sad, I guess.
Dagobert Dragoneer used to sit in front of me before he committed suicide. He forgave me, but I can't forgive him for leaving us. I miss him a lot.
"Psst, Kart." Mujunii poked my shoulder softly.
Even though he just tapped my shoulder, it hurts a lot. Mujunii is massive and therefore super strong.
"Agent Cary is starting the session, stop daydreaming." says Mujunii.
I nod and pay attention. I notice Echo fell asleep already. I suppose she's back to being her old self. How cute.
"Kitty Marsheye?" Cary started reading the list of classmates.
When I heard that name, I froze. I was supposed to say something this time! But I couldn't...I failed again.
"Deceased."
The whole class looks at her.
Isabella Peaceshine stood up and looked Agent Cary in the eye.
"...alright." he continues to read from the list.
"Leo Marsheye?"
"Passed away also." Tron said it this time.
After hearing my classmates talk, I got more confidence to say something too.
"Johnny Farrowbane..?" Agent Cary is a bit cowed after hearing that two students have passed away, both loving siblings.
"Here." Johnny stands up.
"Okay." Agent Cary seems a bit relieved. "Mia Barleybane?"
"Here, also, it's Barleybone, with an o." says Mia.
"Ah, right. Apologies." Cary bows and continues. "Floof Lunatrack?"
"Present." says Floof a bit upset.
"Stellar Lunatrack?"
"Deceased." answers Floof.
"..." Mr. Cary looks at Floof out of pity.
"Fault Mosshelm?"
"Yeah."
"Isabella Peaceshine?"
"Mhm."
"Echo Highsnow?"
"..."
"Not here?"
"She is." Mujunii stands up and points at the girl sitting in front of him.
"Look at her, she's snoring! Gosh, how embarrassing." Joe giggles.
"ECHO!" shouts Professor Justice.
"EEK, YESSIR!" Echo stands up and salutes.
We all start laughing and Echo sits back down a bit embarrassed.
"Please pay attention." Cary admonishes Echo.
"Yes, Sir. I'm sorry." Echo feels ashamed.
"It's okay." whispers Mujunii.
"Aw, thank you, big guy." Echo smiles.
Isabella eyes him carefully from the other end of the classroom. Is she jealous?
Anyways, let me continue." says Cary. "Dagobert Dragoneer?"
"He passed away." says Sunny.
I noticed that all my classmates also got annoyed about the last few times, so we all decided to say stuff this time. We recovered a tiny bit to at least do this much for our deceased friends.
"Fifty Lowwing?"
"..."
No one said anything. We all aren't sure what happened to him. The last time I saw him was in London, when my group and Fifty went separate ways.
"H-he..." I decided to raise my hand. "Fifty isn't coming back, he left Ambermoor."
"Alright." Mr. Cary seems calmer than before. "Max Sternmight?"
"In heaven." mumbles Johnny upset.
"Rain Permafrost?"
"Here." Rain raises her hand.
Johnny glares at her. It seems they had a fight. Could it have been due to Max's death?
"Sweet Wartalon?" Cary looks around the classroom.
"Um, she's here." Sunny is confused to why Sweet is quiet.
She's just staring at her desk. She's been like that for the last few days. Ever since we've returned, she started changing. I might check up on her in the break if I have enough time to.
"Sid Glorywing?"
"Present."
"Mujunii Dragontrack?"
"Attending."
"Karter Hawkwolf?"
"Here." I say.
"Zoom Duskcutter?"
"I'm over here!" Zoom waves like crazy.
"Cookie Wyverncaller?"
"Yes, Sir..." Cookie seems gloomy.
"Joe Ravensong?"
"Yep."
"Sunny Hawkwolf?"
"Here."
"Diva Cinderblood?"
"Deceased."
"Moss Mournsky?"
"She hasn't been here for over a year now. We don't know what happened to her."
"She is not coming back."
A lot of conspiracy theories began until Agent Cary Lynnifen continued.
"Audacious Terrawood?"
"Passed away."
"Sweetie Luna Featherbow?"
"Dead."
"Knologos Nile?"
"He's not here." mumbles Sunny.
"But he's alive?"
"Yeah." says Sunny. "Just sick...probably."
That's true. Ever since we returned, Knologos hasn't left his house. We know he's there because we knocked a bunch of times and he answered us but told us to leave. He's acting strange.
"He's probably too afraid to come to school because we figured him out." says Sid.
"That pussy." hisses Echo, who is suddenly wide awake.
"Huh?" Sunny seems confused.
"Hey, watch your mouth!" says Isabella diligently.
"Quiet, your instructor is speaking." Mr. Nicholas glares at us.
We all stop talking immediately. I am a bit worried now. What have they figured out about Knologos Nile?
"Tron Hammerglade?"
"H-here..."
"Matei Nobleshot?"
"Present."
"Nerdy Wildglade?"
"Deceased..."
"Posa Hawkwolf?"
"D-deceased..." I stutter a bit.
"Last but not least, Leonie Richfall?"
"Here."
Everyone stares at her. Since Leonie is back to her human form, it makes the atmosphere a bit unfamiliar. I still can't accustom to her. She looks so different now. Even though she's really pretty, I can't get over the fact that I used to look at a fox.
"May you all not stare at me?" Leonie feels uncomfortable.
We all look away and focus on the lesson again.
"This took longer than I thought...you all are a big class!" Agent Cary smiles.
"Were." mutters Isabella.
"Hm?" Cary looks around. "Did anyone say something?"
"No, continue, please." says Prof. Justice.
"Alright." Agent Cary groans and looks at all of us. "As you know, in less than a week we'll be infiltrating that mysterious-looking building."
"Less than a week!?" Joe gasps. "We only just began!"
"I know, but we don't have much time left. One of our spies told us he noticed black liquid coming out of the windows." says Cary.
"And you expect us to enter it after hearing that? No, thanks." Isabella shakes her head.
"If you defy us, you won't be able to go to university." Cary threatens us lightly.
"Oi! That's unfair!" Isabella sighs.
"Another thing," explains Cary. "One of our soldiers noticed a small, black fog-cloud creature sneaking around the asphalt at night. It looked like it was searching for something or someone."
Everyone looks at Leonie.
"What? It's not me." Leonie is annoyed.
"But we heard that the building is full of those old spirits, and you were cursed by one. Max." says Joe.
"Hey!" Rain glares at him.
"S-sorry."
Leonie suddenly looks upset.
The past week we've learned a lot about spirits and powers, such as potions, physical defense, anything, really. But we never talked about the black fog. We haven't heard about it since the very beginning. And it's supposed to be just roaming around freely in Ambermoor? Trying to search for someone?
"You guys are terrible at your jobs. That black fog bitch is clearly out for flesh and you just let it float around?" Floof is mad.
"We are certain it won't attack yet, since it's trying to stay hidden, so don't worry." reassures Agent Cary.
"What if one of those spirits takes over our bodies?" asks Sid worried.
"They can't if they already possessed a body. You do realize Nerdy was one, right?" says Leonie out of the blue.
"N-nerdy!?" Sunny gasps.
"Well, she's dead now anyways." Mia rolls her eyes.
"The black fog must be out for someone powerful. I am certain." mumbles Leonie. "Nathaniel..."
"Someone powerful..." Mia murmurs and then looks at me.
Everybody else does the same. I am the center of attention.
Mia opens her mouth and says, "I think the evil organisation is out for you...

...Kart."