59: Dage Minister Liang is your father; Liang Huan's journal part 1

Meng Yao had enjoyed a leisurely day at home. Winter is in full force but his home is warm and he was enjoying some hot tea with his wife while they played Xiangqi.

(A/n: elephant chess or Chinese chess)

"You’re not bad, my love, although I was taught by the ultimate player," Meng Yao said as he placed the final piece and checkmated Jia Yi’s general. Jia Yi flushed, much to Meng Yao’s hidden delight. Jia Yi was still embarrassed by his husband’s demonstrative nature.

"Yaoyao, you look a lot like the prince at a close distance - did you know?" Jia Yi changed the subject.

"Hm, is that so?" Meng Yao was clearly unimpressed with that observation and focused on clearing and re-setting the game board.

"Do you know him?" Jia Yi pressed on.

"No, I don’t think I do,” Meng Yao said, his hands slowing as they placed the game pieces down. “I do get this strange feeling that I've seen him before but I don't remember ever meeting him and I don't see how I possibly could have."

Meng Yao paused and tried to sift through his memories. Now that Jia Yi has mentioned it, he realized that it’s been bugging him in the back of his mind. Where could he have seen the Crown Prince before?

A loud knocking disrupted his thoughts just as he felt like he might be starting to remember something.

"Who could that be?" Jia Yi wondered.

"I don't know, but that person must be crazy," Meng Yao scoffed.

It was freezing outside and now that the sun had gone down it was even colder. Who the hell would come out to visit at this time in the bitter cold? It’s not as if they had any close friends here either.

Jia Yi went to see who was at the door and quickly bowed as soon as the door was open.

"Dage's wife, there’s no need to be so formal," Huan smiled warmly as he entered the house.

Jia Yi nodded and led the way to Meng Yao. He was just as surprised at Jia Yi when he saw his visitor.

"Didi, I knew you would miss Dage very much but I didn’t realize it would be enough to send you out on a cold winter’s night!" Meng Yao teased the boy.

"Dage..., can I speak to you alone?" Huan asked in a voice filled with both sorrow and determination.

Meng Yao’s eyebrows raised and he immediately straightened up from his former relaxed position. He gave Jia Yi a meaningful look and Jia Yi nodded back with understanding.

"I'll take these people to the kitchen and give them some warm tea while I start dinner," he said before ushering Huan’s servants and guards away from the room. The guards tried to protest but Huan joined in with Jia Yi and left them no choice but to leave.

As soon as the two of them were alone Huan clenched the bag in his arms a little tighter for courage and spoke.

"Dage, I want to tell you the story of my birth," Huan said solemnly, "but before I do that I need to know your story. Please, Dage, will you tell me your story?"

Meng Yao was reluctant to share his past. In fact, he had only told Jia Yi the story of his life, but Huan seemed a little desperate. Meng Yao didn’t know why he had such a soft spot for the boy but he couldn’t bring himself to refuse his request. He sighed with reluctance, took a deep breath, and answered Huan.

"I was raised by my father and abusive grandfather. When I was 10, my father died and it was only my grandfather - I am an orphan. I don't know anything about my other parent because he has never been a part of my life." Meng Yao’s voice was cold and emotionless as he recited the bare facts of his life. “My father never even spoke of him.”

"What would you think if you one day met your daddy?"

"I wouldn’t think anything at all. Meeting daddy now wouldn’t erase the years of suffering and abuse I’ve survived. It couldn’t change a thing. I accepted long ago that my only family was my father and grandfather - and that helped me to get on with my life," Meng Yao answered firmly.

Huan felt a trickle of nervous sweat trace down his cheek. He had no idea it was this bad! His Dage had already decided he would never meet his daddy. However, Huan wouldn't accept defeat. He had already promised his daddy he would bring them together. He wanted to make his daddy happy and felt he owed daddy that much after all he’s suffered all these years.

"Dage, do you know this person?" Huan asked as he unrolled a scroll and placed it on the table in front of them.

When Meng Yao saw the painting, his face paled and then flushed.

It was his dad! But, no, it couldn't be! What kind of trick was this?

"Where did you get this?" Meng Yao asked coldly.

Huan swallowed, suddenly realizing that Meng Yao could be dangerous.

"Dage, you need to calm down," he tried to soothe Meng Yao.

"Where did you get this?" Meng Yao repeated, his voice growing softer and colder.

"This is a painting of Minister Liang!” Huan’s face flushed with embarrassment as his voice squeaked slightly in the middle of his answer.

Meng Yao blinked several times with surprise.

"What?" He couldn’t believe what Huan had just said.

"This is your father, isn’t it?” Huan persisted. “Your father was Minister Liang, Dage.

Meng Yao was silent for a long moment then burst into laughter.

"No, that can't be my father," he said, rejecting the notion.

’Yeah,’ he told himself, ‘these are two different worlds but it wouldn't be surprising to have someone look like a person here.’ Even in his world, there are people that look a lot alike even though they have no relation. Even the names can be explained in the same way – just a bizarre, improbable coincidence.

"Dage, believe me - this is your father, Liang Huan," Huan insisted patiently.

"Yeah? And what proof do you have other than a similar appearance?"

Huan bit his lip as he organized his thoughts.

"The Minister was not from here. He was from a place called 'China'," Huan began hesitantly. "A foreigner from a foreign land found inside the dragon lake and covered in blood - that's how the Emperor found the Minister."

Meng Yao’s confidence was shaken. It was too similar to how he was found by the river.

"I won’t go into further details,” Huan continued while Meng Yao was still trying to adjust his thoughts. “I want you to read this and I'll come back in a week. I know I can’t make you accept the truth – it’s up to you to decide that. You decide whether to embrace the truth or remain in ignorance.”

Huan placed a book on the table next to the portrait and then said his goodbyes.  Meng Yao picked up the book as Huan left the room and was stunned to recognize his father’s writing on the cover.

Edited by Relendria