New Family

Freya's POV

"Think Roxy is gonna help us skin these?" I ask, holding up the three dead bunnies, Duane shrugs.

"No, she no like that. Cooking it she prefer" Amethyst says, looking at the sky, her bow across her shoulder and axe out.

"That is true. One time, Roxy was left at camp and we asked if she could skin the animals we found. When we got back, the animals were only gutted and Roxy was behind a tree throwing up" Duane says, laughing at the end, Amethyst nods, putting her axe into the head of a stray walker.

"Then she told us she would never ever touch a dead animal again. Me and Amethyst were left to the skinning" Duane says, stabbing a walker with his sword, I giggle. Stabbing a walker through its chin, I pull my tanto blade out of its head and draw my bow to get one starting towards us.

"Amethyst and I" I correct Duane, he rolls his eyes and wipes his sword on the walker's shirt as Amethyst and I look around, she picks up the dead bunnies and puts them on her belt.

"I'm so sleepyyyy" I yawn, stretching my arms above my head, Duane nods.

"Me too" he says, patting down the walkers, he pulls out a wallet and opens it.

"I don't understand why you do that" I mumble, shaking my head, he grins and holds up 40 dollars.

"You never know!" he says, putting it in his pocket and putting the wallet in the walker's pocket again.

"Should we head back?" I ask, Amethyst shrugs and I roll my eyes.

"Sometimes I wonder if you really like Alexandria or not" I say, she points at Duane.

"She does but she feels like a caged animal. She likes it out here also" he says, walking in between us, Amethyst claps her hands and points at him then puts her fingers to the lips of her mask and does it like chef's kiss.

Duane and I laugh at that.

"She said I worded it perfectly" Duane translates their sign, I nod. Amethyst suddenly stops and growls.

"What's wrong?" I ask, she suddenly hisses and holds her heart, falling to her knees.

"Amethyst!" I call, Duane kneels down in front of her and waves his hand in front of her.

"What the hell? Why does she keep growling?" I ask, Duane shrugs but Amethyst suddenly reaches into Duane's backpack and pulls out the radio.

"Amethyst, hand it to me" Duane calmly says, Amethyst puts it in his hand but grips his shoulder.

"R- Ro- Roxy. Someone check Roxy" Amethyst whispers, trying to get Duane to turn on the radio, Duane nods and turns it on.

"The battery's almost dead" he says, putting his ear to it and then going to the channel for Alexandria.

"Hey, Toby! Could ya get someone to check on Roxy?" Duane says when someone answers, but then it goes quiet.

"Fuck. It died" Duane says, Amethyst stands up and starts going back towards Alexandria.

"Amethyst!" Duane and I yell, running after her but she doesn't stop.

______________

We finally reach Alexandria and the gates open.

"Hey, Duane. I know you were saying something but the connection got messed up or the batteries died" Toby says, Duane tosses him the radio and we run after Amethyst. She dropped all her weapons here.

We finally see her when we get to their house, she tells us to stay here and we stop following when we reach the stairs. After she goes up, we hear thumping and banging sounds, Duane and I look at each other before running up the stairs.