Chapter 9: Keeping Secrets!

-Back in present day, with Izuku and Ren on the beach-

"After that, Ben started training me.  But Azmuth still didn't trust me with the Omnitrix, so it took a while before I actually managed to get the one on your wrist now.  Looking back on it now, it all seems so funny.  I was such a stubborn kid, but I'm glad that Ben chose me...  Oh, sorry Izuku.  I guess I just started rambling on and on didn't I?  I guess I'm getting older than I thought-"  Ren said as he turned to look at Izuku, who had tears streaming down his face.

"I... I didn't know your life was so hard..."  Izuku said wiping his eyes clean of tears.  "You... were all alone all that time...  I..."

"Know how it feels?  I bet.  I remember how timid and shy you were when I first met you.  It was like you've never had a shred of confidence in your life, I bet I know why."  Ren replied.

Ren stands up and walks towards the shoreline of the beach.

"You know, when I first came to Earth, I thought it would be much different than my home planet.  But I guess no matter where you go, if you're different, then you'll be treated as such.  Even among your own kind..."

Izuku stands up as well.

"Izuku, you know why I'm seen as a vigilante right?"

"Because, you engaged in hero work without a license...  At least, that's how our society describes vigilantes."

"Right.  But I don't just go willy nilly into fights.  I started being branded a vigilante because I saw people that needed help.  I didn't think about it, I just knew that I had to save them, nothing else mattered in the slightest.  This mentality, it was something that needed to be beat into my head when Ben trained me.  But that day, when I saw you rush in without a second more to even think, I saw the makings of a hero."

Izuku listened silently as hope filled his chest, causing his back to straighten and stand tall.

"That's why when I saw what you did, I knew that there was no one else worthy of wielding the Omnitrix.  To be my next successor..."

"But sensei... You're so young...  How come you need a successor already?"

Ren does not answer and merely turns around to face Izuku and smiles.

"A question for another day.  One that I'll answer when the time is right..."  Ren replied as Izuku's Omnitrix beeped and flashed green.

"Looks like your Omnitrix is ready to go.  But you've got about 20 minutes left before class starts up right?"

Izuku looks on his phone and screams.

"Y-you're right!  I gotta go home and get changed!"

"You sure you can handle it?  Studying and training at the same time?  I don't wanna burn you out Izuku."

"I'll be fine sensei, I promise!"

Izuku said as he grabbed his bag and ran up the stairs.

"I'll see you later sensei!  Don't forget your promise!"  Izuku yelled waving.

Ren smiles and waves back, watching Izuku disappear as he ran up the stairs.  When he was out of sight, Ren puts his arm down and sighed.

"You can come out now, despite your size; sneaking isn't really your thing."  Ren said seemingly to himself.

From the pile of rubble behind him, a Azmuth emerges and stands on top of the trash.

"As attentive as ever I see."  Azmuth commented.  "How are you doing these days Ren?"