Future Heroes Special! Act 4: The Ninth Symphony!

-WITH REN-

Ren stares at the brightly lit night sky, along well as the glowing city below him as he leans against the railings.

"There you are."  Ben called out to Ren, making him look back.  "The guest room is all set up now if you wanna crash for the night."

"dude, you actually wear buttoned up pajamas to bed?"  Ren asked as he snickered.

"Hey, what's wrong with this?"  Ben asked as he looked down at his clothes and chuckled with Ren.  "It's comfy!"

"They're not even green!  I mean come on, green watch, green tower but red pajamas?  Get with the program man!  I thought most people just slept in a shirt and boxers or something!  You look like a dad out of a cartoon coming to check who's stealing food from the fridge!"  Ren replied as he and Ben laughed together.

"Alright, cool your jets bucko."  Ben replied as he joined Ren on the balcony.  "The machine will be completed by tomorrow.  Grandpa Max wanted me to tell you that."

"So I'll be home by tomorrow..."  Ren replied with a tone of slight sadness in his voice.

"Yeah.  Ken was asking whether or not there would be some more time for all of us to train together before you had to go.  He really liked that move you showed him with Wildvine.  Where do you come up with that stuff?"  Ben asked as he leaned on the railings.

"From the best of the best..."  Ren replied as he glanced over to Ben.  "The Symbol of Justice..."

Ben and Ren share a moment of awkward silence together before Ben clears his throat.

"...  S-so...  What are you doing out here?"  Ben asked.

"Just...  Thinking is all.  To myself, about my life, about...  Well, everything really."  Ren replied as he looked back out towards the city.

"Ah, existential crisis stuff huh?  Don't even get me started on those.  I've had too many in the past to count."  Ben replied.  "Well, if it's no bother to you; I've got a penny to spare for your thoughts."

"...  Being here with you...  It just...  Brought back memories from my past.  It was just like old times, well; for me anyway.  Made me remember all of the things we used to do together, unbeatable partners; ready to take on anything the universe threw our way.  As long as you were beside me, I felt invincible...  Like things would never change..."  Ren explained.

"Until it did...  Right?"  Ben asked, to which Ren nods.  "...  What happened to the me in your world?"

Ren remains silent as he stared blankly at the passing lights of the vehicles beneath him.

"I can tell from the way you look at me, it's subtle but it's there.  This...  Hinge of sadness behind your eyes."  Ben said to Ren.  "You talked to me about all of your adventures with me back in your universe, but the one thing you never told me was...  What happened to me."

Ben turns to face Ren, who looks down and lets his bangs cover his eyes.

"...  I'm dead, aren't I?"  Ben asked, making Ren jump slightly as he grasped the railings firmly.

"...  It was my fault."  Ren replied.  "You died...  Protecting me from Vilgax..."

"Oh man, Vilgax?  Squid face ends me?  Seriously...?"  Ben asked as he scratched the back of his head.  "How'd that happen...?"