Chapter 21: Surprise Visit!

-ONE WEEK AFTER THE EXAM-

"Izuku!  Could you help me set out the table?"  Inko called out to her son.

Izuku paced back and forth in front of the door impatiently, waiting for something to arrive in the mail.  He glares at the small letterbox in his door, waiting for that hatch to open.

"Izuku!"  Inko called out one more time.

Sighing, she finally walks to her son's location to see him pacing.

"You know, staring at the door won't make that letter come any faster."  Inko said as she placed her hand on her son's shoulder.  "You said it yourself didn't you?  That you scored 50 points on the exam?"

Izuku immediately snaps out of his focused trance and looks back as his mother, who was smiling brightly at him.

"I'm sure you did fine Izuku."  Inko said with a bright smile.  "So how about we pass the time with some dinner?  I made your favorite, a katsudon bowl!"

Izuku's face immediately brightens up as he turns to face his mother.

"Really?  Alright!  I'll help set the table!"  Izuku said as he ran past her and into the kitchen.  Inko smiles as she chuckles, following her son into the kitchen.  She resumes her cooking as Izuku sets out the bowl and plates on the table.  Inko looks back at the table and notices that Izuku had only set out two sets.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you Izuku dear!  Could you possibly put out another set on the table?  Just one more."  Inko asked.

"Huh?  Are we having someone over mom?"  Izuku asked.

"Yes, we are!  Ren's coming for dinner tonight!"  Inko replied.

"H-huh!?  Sensei's coming here, for dinner!?  W-when did you decide this!?"  Izuku blurted.  "I-I mean, it's great that he's coming over, but even I never shared a meal with him!"

Inko chuckles at her son's outburst of confusion.

"Well, actually... I met him in Hosu today when I was out shopping!  You see, I was on my back when I bumped into him..."

-7 HOURS AGO-

Inko had just finished paying for the last of her groceries and she makes her way down the street.  As she gets to the city's center, she notices a familiar figure sitting at a noodle stand, happily slurping up some ramen.  He had just finished drinking the broth of the ramen and lets out a breath of satisfaction.

"Ah!  That's more like it!  Nice to see you're back in your groove chef!"  Ren said to Chef, who was now cooking alongside his daughter.

"It's all thanks to you Ren!  Because of you and the protégé of yours, I'm feeling better than ever!"  Chef replied.

"He's been like this all morning.  Honestly, I don't know if I find it inspiring or annoying."  Chef's daughter Yui commented, smiling as she preps the next batch of broth.

"What's not to be happy about?  I got my daughter back, business has been booming, I saved up enough to afford Yui's tuition, now she's even planning to go to culinary school to be like her old man!  You could say I'm the happiest man in the world!"  Chef replied with a confident tone.

"That true Yui?  You wanna be like Chef here?"  Ren asked.

"No way!"  Yui replied as she karate chopped her father's balding head.  "It's just the most convenient thing I happen to qualify for.  Spent most of my life helping dad here prep and cook for his stand here, so I figured why not choose something I already have some experience and skill in."