Chapter 8: New terrain

Lucy's POV:

As Mrs. Weasley had promised Harry, she was going to see me off to the bus station.

Ginny took my hand and dragged me back to the other side of the wall and I let her.

When we were on the other side of the wall, I had to fight to keep the tears from spilling, but I couldn't let Mrs. Weasley and Ginny see that.

Ginny started a conversation I was very happy to participate in, for I only had to nod and laugh a few times.

"So you live with your aunt and uncle, Lucy?" Mrs. Weasley asked, ending the comfortable moment. "Why aren't they here?"

"Oh, they were, but er... my uncle had somewhere to go..." I said. "He said to take the bus back home."

"So are you and your brother close?" Ginny asked me, joining in now.

"We are actually... he's my only real friend at home..." I said, figuring how much I was going to tell them. "I guess people never really like me that much."

Ginny and Mrs. Weasley shared a look and I turned away.

I didn't want their pity.

"Why don't you and your aunt and uncle come over some time?" Mrs. Weasley said. "I'm sure they want to know what you and Harry will be up to the next eight years and beyond!"

Ginny nodded excitedly at the idea and I internally groaned, almost laughed at the thought of it.

Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia would rather dine with a toad then with a family as abnormal as the Weasleys.

"Maybe..."

We arrived at the bus, which was already coming into view.

"Are you sure we can't just take you home?" Mrs. Weasley said, hesitant to let me leave.

"It's fine, this won't be the first time I'm on a bus alone," I said.

And so, Ginny gave me an unexpected good- bye-hug and even more surprising, so did Mrs. Weasley.

"Thank you, for your help," I said. "You have no idea how much you've done for me and my brother..."

And with that, I turned around and entered the bus. I had to keep a low profile in the bus, or I'd be damned, because I didn't have money.

I sat next to a woman and stared out of the window, while I allowed my thoughts to go to Harry. I just hoped he made friends out there.

After about half an hour, the bus arrived back in Little Whinging pretty close to Privet Drive and I hurried to get out, pray- ing the driver wouldn't see me.

I got out safely, but then the driver saw me and started yelling at me, but I started running back 'home'.

*~*

(*A day later*)

"UP!" Uncle Vernon screamed at the door of the cupboard that was now only keeping me.

"DON'T YOU KEEP ME WAITING GIRL," Uncle Vernon went on. "GET OUT AND MAKE ME BREAKFAST!"

I groaned and got up, dressing in my usual too big shabby jeans, sweatshirt and a beau- tiful leather jacket I'd found yesterday on the street while walking to Privet Drive.

It was by far the prettiest accessory I had in my possession.

I entered the kitchen with a throbbing head, which was probably the aftermath of the beating from Uncle Vernon last night.