Chapter 14: Dursleys and strange turns

Lucy's POV:

A week later, I was allowed to leave the hospital (or St. Mungo's, as they called it).

I should've been beyond excited, but I wasn't. Because getting out also meant going back. Back to the Dursleys, back to the school full of people who hated me.

Back to the Muggle world.

In the time I'd been at St. Mungo's I'd seen glimpses of the wizarding world I will be living in as from next year and even though I'd told myself not to grow fond of it yet, I had.

Harry had left after a day, because he still had school and I was doing okay.

He hadn't wanted to go, but Professor McGonnagall (or Minnie, as I called her), the healer and Professor Dumbledore had pressured him and told him that, if my condition would get worse, they'd tell him and allow him to come back.

Now, a week later, I was going back home.

I was standing there, in front of the door, debating whether I should just ring the bell or turn around.

Maybe I could go to Hogwarts? Or to the Weasleys? Find another family?

No. I had to do this. I had to go back to my actual family.

And I realised, even if they were all cruel and they all hated me, Aunt Petunia had never touched me and hit me, like Uncle Vernon and Dudley did.

And in Dudley's case, he was brought up to hate me and Harry and all he ever knew was the beatings his dad gave us. That's where Dudley's horrible behaviour had come from in the first place.

Even though I still hated him and knew he hated me, it wasn't all his fault, if I thought about it.

I took in a deep breath and rang the bell, Aunt Petunia opened the door.

Her eyes went wide when she saw me and she pushed me inside as fast as she could, looking very pissed.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" I shuddered, but gathered every bit of courage I could get.

"Hasn't anyone contacted you? I was in the hospital! Someone came visit and they saw me and-"

"WAS IT ONE OF THE FREAKY PEOPLE?"

"If you mean someone from Hogwarts, yes it was," I said, realising how bold it sounded. I didn't feel bold at all. "It was one of Harry's teachers and someone we met at the train station."

"Were they inside this house?" Aunt Petunia whispered.

"Well, no idea. I blacked out and first thing I remember is waking up in a hospital."

Aunt Petunia was quiet for some time, the tension was killing me.

"This girl from school came by the other day..." I felt my cheeks go red. Vanessa. "asking about you... since when do you have a friend?"

"We aren't friends," I lied smoothly, but Aunt Petunia probably wouldn't buy it.

"At least she didn't hate you," she said irritated. "I didn't tell Vernon, but believe me, I will if you don't tell me where you've been."

I swallowed. Could I tell her? Minnie said I could, but would it mean getting kicked out? More than likely.

"Well, I told you, I was in a hospital. Just not a normal hospital. You know I was ill and they helped me. Now I'm feeling better again."

Aunt Petunia looked angry. "What was wrong with you anyway?"

"Bad fever," I said, trying to sound honest. "I just should've done something earlier, but-"