Chapter 18: Reunions are the best parties

Lucy's POV:

The bell rang and I reluctantly went inside, followed by many of my classmates.

It was the beginning of June now. I'd had a few more transformations with Remus, but they were still as painful as the first time. Unfortunately, they would never get easy, according to Remus.

"So where's your bodyguard now, Potter?" Brittany asked in a fake voice. "Haven't seen her around much lately."

As I was trying to keep walking to the class I tried my best ignoring the she-devils that were following me now.

Vanessa and I hadn't talked in a week now and I knew it was completely my fault.

I went to sit down in my usual seat in the back and as Vanessa came in, she took her usual seat next to me, but she totally ignored me. And I ignored her too.

Why had I become so consumed by jealousy when Vanessa started hanging out with other people too? It's not like she really let me down in the process!

*FLASHBACK* (A WEEK EARLIER)

"What in heaven's name is wrong with you?!" Vanessa asked, worry shining through her voice.

"Nothing is wrong with me!" I yelled back, but I felt the pain that told me I was lying. "I just need you, but I see you're too busy right now."

I turned around, but Vanessa put a hand on my shoulder, urging me to turn back to her.

"Just leave her be, Vanessa!" Fay called, looking at me with disgust written all over her face. "You deserve better than that!"

I started shaking, both of anger and sadness. I had finally made a friend, amongst all of the mean children with their prejudices and now even Vanessa was turning on me?

"Just look at the loser," Penny whispered to Fay, a smirk plastered on her face.

"For God's sake Lucy, " Vanessa said, catching my attention. "Calm down! I know you and the girls aren't friends, but I can make my own friends here too, can't I?"

She was right. I knew she was. But I just couldn't stop shaking and thinking of all the things Fay and Penny said about me.

"How long d'you think before she explodes?" Penny asked Fay in a hushed voice, so Vanessa wouldn't hear.

"30 seconds, she never keeps it together long," Fay giggled. "The ugly monster she is!"

Before I knew it, I'd pinned Fay to the wall behind her and punched her right on the nose. A loud crack could be heard. Her nose had broken.

Fay and Penny screamed and Vanessa looked shocked , but after she regained herself, she was ouraged.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!" She yelled. "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?"

She went to look at Fay, who had sat down and was shaking all over. Penny stood right next to her, still looking very scared.

Without another word, I ran home, tears streaming down my face. What had I done?!

*END FLASHBACK*

The class had started without me noticing.

Suddenly Vanessa tore a piece of paper out of her notebook and pushed it towards me, without looking at me.

I took the paper and read the message. She wanted to talk. Right now.

"Sorry Miss," Vanessa called to the teacher. "May I go to the toilet?"