Chapter 9: Life changes

Lucy's POV:

I took in a sharp breath before entering my class, full of prejudiced, hating kids.

Harry always thought I'd made friends, but I hadn't: some admire my boldness, others were scared of my temper, but all had heard the rumors spread by Dudley.

Even if he wasn't in this school anymore.

Besides, there were still bullies in my class, other than Dudley.

When everyone was settled and quiet, the door was opened and an unfamiliar kid walked in.

It was a girl with blond, pretty hair, pink lips and a flawless skin. I just knew all the boys were staring at her, without looking.

The girls were all whispering. I sighed annoyed and turned my attention to my book.

But then, she came and sat next to me. "Hi," she said with a genuine smile. I smiled back and introduced myself. I wanted this to be better than with Ginny.

"I'm Vanessa, I'm new here."

People watched the two of us closely and I glared at the b*tches whispering.

"Do you want something?" I asked them.

The girls looked away and the rest of the lesson went pretty smooth, me mostly telling Vanessa some of my classmates' names and known backgrounds.

During break however, the popular kids came to us, or well, to Vanessa.

"Let me give you some advise," Brittany, my arch nemisis, said. "This is Lucy Potter. The town's freak, as most know her. If I were you, I'd stay far away from her..."

I felt my cheeks burn and I clenched my fists.

"Besides, you look like someone who'll become popular, if you go to the right people!" One of Brittany's friends said, looking Vanessa up and down.

"I like Lucy," Vanessa said. I looked up at her. "I'm more concerned for people who go befriend you, which seems awful to me."

I grinned and turned to Brittany. "Go away, I'd like to spend my time with nice people."

The girls walked away, defeated and Vanessa and I laughed. She might be as pretty as Brittany, she was nothing like her.

"Why are you the town's freak anyaay?" Vanessa asked during class.

I looked at her. "My cousin, Dudley Dursley, used to go here too and bullied everyone who assosciated themself with me," I sighed. "And strange things always happen around me, so people avoid me, scared I guess..."

Vanessa nodded and asked no more questions.

"Why did you change schools?" I asked curiously. "Did you move here?"

"Yes and I got expelled. I caused a lot of trouble..."

She looked at me nervously, as if expecting I'd turn against her now.

"Seems like something that could happen to me too. Trouble's my second name, really."

Vanessa grinned and the rest of the day went by really fast.

Vanessa wanted to hang out some time, but I knew we couldn't: if Dudley or Uncle Ver- non found out I had a friend, I was dead.

I didn't have the time anyway: I had to do chores after school I couldn't finish if I didn't start as soon as possible.

But it was nice to have someone acknow- ledge me other than Harry, for once.

At home, I did my chores: scrubbing the floors 'until they shine', washing the dishes, doing the laundry, cleaning the toilet (the most disgusting thing there is) and tending to the garden, or well, the weeds.