Chapter 10: A shocking turn of events

Lucy's POV:

Even if I had a shitty life at the Dursley's and I missed Harry a lot, it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it to be before: at least I wasn't alone.

Beyond all expectations, Vanessa didn't back away from me when she got to know me and saw one of my 'accidents,' which I could now explain as outbursts of my magic.

She simply said she had strange things about herself too and that she knew it wasn't really a bad thing.

Turns out, Vanessa and I made a great team, when it came to pranks: she was just as mis-
chievous as me.

We had already pranked half the class, Brittany and her girls three times even.

Eventually, weeks turned into a month and quite soon, it was October.

This month was starting off quite the same way as the last one, peetty well, other than the beatings at home.

Vanessa and I had really started bonding and she'd made me meet her family.

And finally, I did so, earning a beating for that evening, but I decided I didn't care.

Her mother was a stay-at-home mom and one of the kindest people I'd met before, despite being strict and neat.

Vanessa's dad, Mr. Wilson, was strict, but kind and quite a busy working man.

Vanessa's little brother Johnny, who looked a lot like her, was a bit spoiled, but still a lot better than Dudley. He was very mischievous too and never quiet.

All in all, they looked like a very normal family, but there was something that made me think this wasn't true.

Today, Brittany had made me trip on the stairs for a laugh at school, so when I went for a hike that night, I was thinking of ideas for revenge, when I heard something odd.
Something moving.

I suddenly realised I'd abandoned the streets and I was nearing a forest. I was about to turn back around, when I heard the sound again. It was coming from the forest.

My mind told me to turn around and go back, but my body slowly approached the forest, my heart beat increasing quickly.

It was completely dark by now and no person was out anymore. So what was it in the forest?

I should not have done what I did, but my curiosity got the best of me, like always and I went a bit into the forest.

A chill ran down my spine as I felt the wind blow lightly and heard twigs breaking.

I took in a shaky breath and walked a bit further.

'Come on, you can do this,' I told myself. 'Harry wrote Mom and Dad were in the brave house. Harry's in the brave house. I can use a tat bit of that bravery too.'

Determined, I walked on, but stayed close to the edge. But then, the noise moved suddenly, it was right behind me.

I swallowed audibly and slowly turned around, knowing it was there. I came face to face with a beast.

The beast growled and looked at me hun- grily. I tried to run away, but before I could, it yanked its paw straight into my hip and I cried out in pain, falling to the ground.

"HELP!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, but deep down I knew it was no use.

I turned to face the beast, deciding not to give up this easily. The beast looked some sort of big dog in the dark, but it definitely wasn't.

It neared me slowly and madly.

As I crouched away from it, it kept coming closer and closer.

Breath caught in my throat, when I felt a tree at my back. Trapped.