Chapter 7: Summer's end

Lucy's POV:

I stayed in bed all day. I really was feeling terrible. The full moon had hit me hard as always, just great.

Some time in the late afternoon, the Weas- leys and Harry came back from Diagon Alley.

"How are you feeling?" Harry asked when he came in.

"Better than this mornin'" I answered, sitting up straight. "How was Diagon Alley? Have you seen Hermione?"

Harry chuckled lightly. "It was fun. Ginny got her stuff and I got you yours. Hermione was very worried when we told her you're ill..." he chuckled again. "We also saw Hagrid. And that morron Malfoy and his dad."

He started telling me about a fight in Flourish & Blotts between Mr. Weasley and Mr. Malfoy.

"Awesome man, Mr. Weasley is," I said satisfied. "Y'know what? I feel fine, I'll come downstairs!"

I ushered my brother out and got dressed. I went downstairs to meet the Weasleys and Harry there.

Mrs. Weasley was very happy to see I was OK and tried to fuss over me the rest of the day, in a sweet way.

Ginny and I talked the night away and laughed our heads off. I only ever had this kind of fun with Vannessa.

"You two should meet!" I said, when Ginny asked about my other friend. "She's awe- some, you'll be great friends too! We've pulled so many pranks on the bullies at my old Muggle school."

"Maybe we can all prank together!" Ginny suggested excited. "I can't wait to meet her really!"

Harry and Ron spent the night hanging out as well. The two best friends were reunited and great. They played quidditch with the twins too, again leaving me and Ginny out. But we didn't mind.

"I've got something for that," Ginny whispered mysteriously to me. I smirked at her mischievous grin and thought about Ginny's idea.

That night, I was woken up by Ginny. We shared a room now, after the full moon. "Come on," she whispered. I got up with a grin, knowing this was her plan.

We went downstairs and out, to the shed, where all the brooms lay. Ginny opened it, looking at me in excitement. My eyes widened when I realised what we were gonna do.

"Which one do you want to try?" Ginny asked triumphantly. I grinned widely, taking one.

"That's Fred's," Ginny said with a smile. "It's a great one. The twins have quite good ones, even though they're nothing like a Nimbus 2000..."

I took Harry's broom out, which he had also stalled in here, with the other boys. "Wanna try one?"

Ginny gasped and took it carefully from me. "Are you sure? I mean-"

"Yes, I'm sure! Harry won't know, and he wouldn't mind it anyway!" Ginny was beyond excited when she mounted the broom.

I'd seen Harry do it many times now and I knew I could do it as well. I could do this. I was however, a bit nervous. What if I was crappy at it?

Nevertheless, I mounted and I followed Ginny, up into the sky. It was a thrilling feeling. I felt so... free. I could really see why Harry liked this so much.

"Whoo-hoo!" I cried and Ginny and I flew around, totally free. Free of worries, free of overprotective brothers, free of a name we were stuck with, free of everything.

But alas, to that freedom came an end after all, when hours had gone by. We'd flown, sat in the grass, talking and flown again. But if we didn't want to look like zombies to- morrow, we had to sleep some more. So we did.