| Year 3 | Chapter 9: The hippogriff

Lucy's POV:

The first Quidditch practice of the year is tonight. And I can't wait to begin again.

"It sucks that there's no open spot on the team this year," Ginny mentions during dinner. "I'd love to be on the team. We could be chasers together!"

"We'd make a good team," I agree sadly. Since none of my teammates graduated last year, no one left the team and there's no try-outs.

"Well, at least you'll be about the same age as the other candidates once you can try for the team," Vanessa tries to cheer her up. "I mean, Lucy was way younger than every- one, that's pretty scary, isn't it, Lu?"

"But she got in!" Ginny responds with a deep sigh. "It's not about your age, it's about talent."

"Still, it would make me quite uncomfortab- le," Vanessa says defensive.

I exchange a look with Liliana and we both roll our eyes at the same time. They can be so dumb.

"Potter!" I turn around to Wood, our team's captain. He's probably going to want to meet up earlier for his usual talks. "Yes, Wood?"

"Tonight's the first practice."

"I'm aware."

"Be there at 7.15, for a team meeting. Oh and have you seen your brother?"

I frown at look down the table at the place where he usually sits with Ron and Hermi- one, but they're not there.

"No, I haven't. I'll look for him for you."

"Thanks Potter, see you tonight at 7.15!"

"Is he saying that weird for a particular reason?" The accusation comes from Marley, who just sat down opposite from me.

I shrug as I look at Wood, walking over to his side of the table. "Nothing serious. I was late one practice last year."

"And now he goes out of his way to remind you of the time every single time?"

"Liliana, have you met the guy?!" I snort at her astonishment. "C'mon it's Oliver Wood! He's more stressed about Quidditch than he is about his graduation!"

"How could he be so chill about his NEWTS?" Marley exclaims, unbelieving. "Cedric had his OWLs last year and he overworked himself from day one! He had two panic attacks!"

"Wow, way to go Marley!" Cedric approach- es us, well Marley, with a smile. He's always smiling. "Are you already spreading all of my little secrets to your friends?"

Marley blushes at being caught. "Sorry Ced... I won't anymore, pinky promise." She exten- ds her pinky to him and he takes the prom- ise while we're watching.

"Hi there girls," Cedric Diggory turns to us with his typical frirndly smile. "How are you all doing? I heard there's something weird with the Malfoy kid going on. Was that you?"

It wasn't us this time. "Maybe the twins?" Liliana suggests with a shrug. "Not us this time."

"Actually, it wasn't them either." Dean, Sea- mus and Neville sit down next to us. "He was attacked by a hippogriff during our first Care of Magical Creatures class. Made a whole big fuss about it."

"Merlin's beard," Liliana looks both surpris- ed and kind of excited. "Is he hurt badly?"

"I don't think so," Seamus answers. "But he acted like he was going to die. Said he'd tell his dad and all."

"Let me guess: 'my father will hear about this!'" Everyone laughs at Ginny's pretty good impression of Malfoy's infamous line.

"Well, it can't mean anything good," Vanessa suddenly sounds worried.