𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐋 𝐒𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐋

"if heaven and hell decide that they both are satisfied, illuminate the 'no's' on their vacancy signs. if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks then I'll follow you into the dark"

-Death Cab for Cutie

~~~

       "Rory...Rory come on" I felt a hand on my shoulder and opened my eyes confused to see Bruce hovering over my bed.

"You're going to hate me" he whispered, "but I have a mission I need you to do right now."

I sat up, doing my best to now wake up.
"Let me change into my suit"

"Just let me explain first..." He started, "The Seattle Medical Centre has seen your work at our hospital here"

It wasn't a hidden fact to the public that I was a medical student, it was a reputation I kept as both Dove and Rory. I guess being Dove just adds more trust. Gothams Hospital is often short staffed so I'll help out there when needed, they've started just calling me in if they needed an extra nurse. Though mostly they called in Dove for intense security if someone important was getting a treatment.

"They have a patient flying in from Europe, they need you to supervise."

I thought about it, "but that means I'll miss-"

"Wallys birthday, I know. I'm sure he'll understand" Bruce comforted. I nodded and got up.

Bruce went to move Dick to his own room and I shook my head, "leave him. I don't mind"

"Alright, I'll get the zeta tube ready. Make sure you pack everything you may need."

"I know, B"

I grabbed my suit and changed in my bathroom, then packing a bag of everything I needed. Along with my phone, laptop, and headphones so I could work on homework, as well as a book I was reading.

I also managed to grab a spare sweatshirt I had stolen from Wally incase I needed.

I wrote a note for Dick, explaining where I was then left.

Running down the hall, I abruptly stopped as I almost ran into a certain butler.

"Sorry Alf" I whispered.

Alfred looked at me confused, "going on a trip are we? Who's life are you saving today"

"No clue" I told him honestly, "but I get to go to Seattle so that's cool"

"Dear god" he exclaimed quietly, "well do be careful."

"I always am" I said with a smile before running down to the cave where Bruce was handling the zeta situation, I checked the time on my suits bracelet.

"It's 11 pm there?" I looked up and Bruce and he nodded, "so I guess I may be there a while"

"It's possible...do you have everything packed?"

"Double prepared as you taught me"

"Good" He replied, "Well I wish you luck...I have a feeling you'll enjoy the company of this patient"

Though confused, I didn't question Bruce.

"I've sent you directions on how to get to the hospital," he pointed to my motorbike which was waiting for me in-front of the zeta tube. I got on, "you can contact me, the league, or the team if you need anything at all"

"B, I've gone on missions by myself before" I reassured.

"Yes but this is across the country."

It would only be later on in life when he spoke of moments like these. Moments where Bruce thought back to Zataras words about his own daughter and how fast she was growing up, how he hadn't fully adjusted.
He had been so used to me being this little girl who wouldn't let go of her brother that he sort of never wrapped his head around the fact that I was turning 16 in February and didn't seem to need so much supervision anymore.
I was growing up, and it scared him.