Chapter 102 - If I refuse to activate my gene

Sorry for the long MIA, been feeling unwell and stressed >.<

I will post the owed chapters... erm, slowly... 

XG 102 - If I refuse to activate my gene

"Volunteers that take part in this first experiment will dedicate their ability to the lab for five years. We will purposely try to manipulate what type of ability you will manifest in order to help us."

"What kind of help?"

"Such as electricity to keep our base running, fire to keep us warm or cook raw meat to eat, and forcefully enhance the growth of vegetables. The type of abilities to help humankind to survive," Suzie Yap explained.

Suzie Yap's explanation eased the volunteers' expression. They do not mind-manifesting those useful abilities. The main reason they volunteered was to help people and keep themselves alive.

"Lastly, our genes have their own weakness."

That sentence earned some harsh intake of breath from the listeners and the room became even more silent until they could hear other people's breathing.

"Just like the zombies outside that were less responsive towards winter, so do we after we achieve our Awaken state. It is confirmed that our ability will be weaker during winter, including our stamina, speed, and self-healing. But it will still be much better than normal people."

No one has any problem with that, as winter only affected them a little. It sounded similar to one having a cold with partially blocked senses. However, unless they personally experience it, they would deem it as something not to be afraid of.

"If none of you agrees with what I said, you can choose to withdraw your participation at any time until the date of the beta experiment, which is seven days from now. Please consider it well, because it will affect you for the rest of your lives. After that, regretting it will be useless. Even if the researchers succeed in discovering a way to deactivate your gene, the side effects have a high possibility of not going away."

"Can we take a look at the contract?"

"Naturally." Aurora stood up and passed everyone a copy of the contract at Suzie Yap's prompt. "The contract will only be retrieved in the next seven days, where you will no longer be allowed to change your mind again. Please read over it, if you have any questions, do ask me or Aurora during these days. We will do our best to clarify any confusion you have."

Wong Xue Guo breezed through the contract, her copy was written in English. Most of it contained what she already knew and what her mother had added in just now. It was a contract where one signed away their lives. Even if they activated their gene, they had to work for the lab for five years before they regain their freedom. There was no explanation of why it would be five years, but could it be the researchers estimated they would need at least five years to stabilize the apocalypse?

Suzie Yap and Charles Wong had revealed that they lasted ten years into the apocalypse before Chen YiWen sent their memories back in time. With the knowledge of the future, it might not be impossible that they would only need half the time to achieve the end game.

But it was still quite ambitious, right?

Wong Xue Guo was a little excited to look forward to what her parents would do to achieve that.

Spotting nothing wrong with the contract, Wong Xue Guo started to look around to observe other people's expressions. Chen Yibo and her were the youngest among the volunteers, and also the least resistant in being infertile. They had just reached adulthood not long ago and the idea of having kids was still far away from their worries.