Chapter thirty one: Simon

Time had passed since the day I turned seventeen. Wilhelm's birthday was just around the corner. His father had recently come home to Sweden again. We were all going to their summerplace on Öland, where they had a concert for Wilhelm every year. Wilhelm's aunts and uncles and cousins would be there. Queen Kristina's funeral would be at the end of the month, so it was the first time the royal family reconnected after the tragedy. Wilhelm had fought to have me with him at the concert. Usually only the royal family were to sit in the front row, so they had made an exception for me. It was hard to say no to the future king who had lost not only his beloved big brother, but also his mother within a year's time. Wilhelm and I sat out on deck on the big boat that would take us to his summerplace. When other people talked about summer houses they meant small red cottages in the countryside. When Wilhelm and his family spoke about their summerplace they spoke about another palace.

"Have you been to Öland before, Simon?" Wilhelm asked me. I shook my head. I had not travelled too much. We never had that much money to put on holidays. We mostly did things close to Bjärstad.

"But I have seen the concerts from Öland," I said. I had seen the concert just for the performances.

"There will be a lot of press there. They will probably ask us about our 'engagement' and stuff" Wilhelm said and giggled.

"Well, I don't mind being 'engaged' to you," I said and gave him a kiss.

"I can't believe that people actually think that I am engaged. I am not even seventeen years old yet," Wilhelm said.

"Well they also think that I am an alien that is trying to take over the world online, so that is probably the least weird rumour, babe," I answered. He laughed.

"Well you are a very cute little alien then. And I don't mind if you take over the world with me," he commented. I sat down in his lap and put my arms around him.

"Are you also an alien?" I gasped.

"No, I am a shapeshifting green lizard," he said. I laughed. "You are my boyfriend so you should know that by now." That made me laugh even harder. He laughed with me.

"So what are we going to tell the press when they ask us if we are engaged, sweetheart?" I asked him.

"You don't joke and say that we are. They don't understand jokes, babe," Wilhelm lectured me. I laughed.

"I promise I won't. You are a professional when handling public situations. I don't want to embarass you or myself," I said.

"Just be polite and fake a smile and you will be fine," he replied.

"You will be there, won't you?" I asked.

"It is my birthday so of course I will be there," he said.

"Then why would I have to fake a smile?" I asked.

"Aww. You are such a romantic little boy, Simon. Have I told you I love you?" he said. He had. I could imagine he had faked a lot of smiles. As a kid you just want to have fun and a big celebration was not Wilhelm's thing. He had social anxiety.

"Something that I know you will find challenging is that we are only allowed to hold hands in public. No kisses or other things when press is around, babe," he continued. I sighed. That would be hard. Touch was our love language.

"Well, then we will have to use this time we have before we have media everywhere,"I replied and kissed him. He giggled. Just as I was about to initiate a makeout session I heard someone come out on deck. I sighed. It was Malin.

"We are almost there now. Do you want me to help you downstairs?" she asked. Wilhelm's chair was heavy and I could not get it over the threshold by myself. At least not if I wanted him alive. I looked at Wille. He too, looked disappointed that he would not get any kisses until we were alone later that night.