Chapter forty seven: Simon

Wilhelm had taken me on the trip to Gröna Lund a few days before. Roller coasters were not my thing, as I had discovered I was afraid of heights. But the park itself was enjoyable. I enjoyed seeing Wilhelm so excited. His eyes had lit up like I only had seen them do when he felt closer to his brother. The brother he loved to bits, but was in a place without reach. I could only imagine the bittersweet feeling of having someone so close, but at the same time so far away. I guessed that before you had experienced it yourself, you could not in reality understand how happiness could bring so much sorrow. In every happy memory there was always some sorrow. I knew that every happy memory we created now always brought Wilhelm some sorrow too. For every happy memory, there was one more without his brother. Something his brother would not be there for. I knew how bad Wilhelm wanted Erik to be there for his eighteenth birthday, but there was no way to make that happen. You could not turn time around. You could not bring the dead back to life. Erik would be someone locked into Wilhelm's past, unable to get into our future. He would be a part of the nightmares Wille was still terrorised by at night. Wilhelm still woke up crying sometimes, and I would wipe the tears one by one and embrace him. Even though I could not bring his brother back, I could always be there to make him remember he was not alone. He had me. Us. He had my family just as much as he had me. Mom and Sara adored him. I adored him. He was everything I had wished for in a life partner, even if we were barely eighteen yet. If we were not meant to be, I was afraid I was not meant for anyone. I wondered if you could fall that hard twice. When I fell for Wille, I had never imagined that love could feel that way. But it felt so right. Like we had been made for each other. If twin souls existed, I was pretty sure I had found mine.

"What are you thinking about, my love?" Wilhelm said. He observed me from the other side of the kitchen table, with a cup of tea in his hands. It was raining outside, like it had for days.

"You," I said. He smiled, which made me smile. His smile had powers over me, I could swear on it. I could do almost anything in the world just to see him happy. It melted my heart to see him like that.

"What about me?" he asked.

"How lucky I am to have such a handsome boyfriend. Things like that," I said. He reached out his hand to me and I took it in mine. He leaned down and kissed the back of my hand.

"I love you Simon," he replied. He drank his tea and then we moved onto the sofa in the living room. We had watched show after show, in hope it would stop raining sometime this summer. At the moment we were watching the Canadian series Anne with an E. It was Anne of Green Gables in a new version. It was a sweet series, even though we fought a little about Anne and Gilbert being a couple or not in the end. I was in favour of the ship and he was utterly against it.

"Anne wants to pursue her education and get somewhere. What does she need Gilbert for, really? He is just a miserable guy. He needs to sort himself out first. Anne is better off without him. And they can't stand each other, and that is the opposite of love, baby," Wilhelm said. He was pretty passionate about this. I did not agree on the matter. As soon as they met I knew they would end up together one way or another.

"Well you have been a miserable sad boy too. Being miserable and sad does not disqualify you from receiving love, baby. And Ruby might have her eyes on him, but have you seen how Gilbert looks at Anne?" I replied. "He is in love, beyond saving. Mark my words." Wilhelm laughed. He obviously did not agree.

"Well I never said that miserable people do not deserve love. I said that Anne is better off without him. Those are very different things, love," he said.

"It is good you know you are deserving of love, baby," I replied. Wille pulled me even closer to himself than I already was. I was sitting in his lap and now we were practically one person. I was so close to him that we could practically be one. When our lips met we were one. One of his hands was in my curly hair and the other was resting against my chest. Mine were all over his face. We did not even hear the front door open and Sara getting into the living room. Before she coughed theatrically I did not notice that she was home.

"Hi Sara," I said. I was still sitting in Wille's lap. It was far from the first time she had caught us making out somewhere. She was probably used to it by now.

"Don't let me interfere. I was just wondering what you have planned for dinner. I will soon be starving, so it better be good," she said. Damn it. It was my turn to make dinner that day. I had forgotten. Sara was a bit particular about her food as well. It had to do with her autism I had learned. More people on the spectrum had a hard time with certain foods. Sara often said the texture was everything. Wilhelm saw that I panicked a bit.

"I have actually wanted to try out a new recipe on Cannelloni. You like pasta, right?" Wille said. Sara nodded.

"Did you have a nice time in the stables?" I asked my sister.

"Well it is pouring, so I was inside cleaning mostly. The owner's son Marcus was there, so I had some help at least," she replied. I had never heard of Marcus before.

"Oh. Is he there over the summer or something?" I asked.

"As I understand it he will be attending Hillerska with us next semester. He said he had been studying abroad for some time," she said. So they had talked then. Or well at least he had been talking. Sara was a bit shy around new people. "Will that cannelloni be served today while I am still alive or something?"

"Yes boss," Wilhelm teased. Sara went into her room and Wilhelm put me into work in the kitchen.