Chapter eighty seven: Simon

Trigger warning: Homophobia and violence

The charity event went fine. The press got the pictures they needed to be able to show that we were far from broken up. When Wille told me I thought he was joking for real. And I could not understand how people actually cared about it. My marriage was something between me and my husband, not me, Wille and random people we had not even met. It was all ridiculous.

"Will there be press at dinner too, baby?" I asked Wilhelm. We were sitting next to each other, watching people up on a little stage who spoke about their cause. They wanted people to give money for people who escaped war, to help with medicine and clean water. Food. Warm clothes. Right now it was a pause in the programme.

"Yeah. I am sorry, love," Wille said. "I would have wanted to take you out on a real date. Not a date for essentially a PR-trick to show people we have not broken up."

"Well since we are not broken up it is not a PR-trick," I replied. "It is just a date when people will take photos they can sell to some magazine." Wille laughed and so did I. He was so sweet. I could not resist him anymore. I needed to kiss him. So I did. For everyone at the charity event to see, I kissed him. He kissed me back. Pulled me closer and held me in his arms. I wanted to stay there in his strong arms all night. I felt people's eyes on us. Heard whispers about how little time we probably had for each other now that we had two little children to take care of. Wilhelm let go of me when people began walking out on stage again. He lightly caressed my cheek. I smiled and put a hand on his thigh. He smiled back at me and put his hand on mine. The people up on stage began talking and we were focused on the event again. We listened and applauded when we were supposed to. When the event was over, we stood up and began walking out. I held Wilhelm's hand in mine. We got out to the entrance of the building. There were people everywhere and I sensed that Wilhelm needed to get out of there. That he felt trapped. I pulled him through the crowd of people, in hope we would get out on the street faster. We got out on the street, which was also filled with people from the event. But also others. People in white shirts and black trousers and sunglasses. They had green flags with a symbol on it. Nazis that was protesting against the event, I was pretty sure.

"We should get out of here, king Wilhelm and prince Simon. This is not a safe place for you," Malin said behind us. We nodded. At that moment tumult began spreading around the crowd of people we were in. I held Wilhelm's hand hard in mine, so that we would not get away from each other. Before our security or I myself could react, a man from the crowd of people we were in walked up to me. He was clothed in all black. That was all I had time to perceive before I felt severe pain in my abdomen. He had stuck a knife in me. I was bleeding.

"Our royal family should not house parasites like you," the man said as our security jumped him. "And king Wilhelm is a traitor to the white people. Gay and in love with an immigrant. Fuck you." I heard before I fell to the ground myself. I looked into Wille's eyes. They were filled with pure horror.

"He has a knife, he has a knife," Malin screamed. People backed off, away from us.

**********

*Wilhelm's point of view*

It all happened so quickly. I could not react before security had jumped a guy screaming racist and homophobic shit after me and Simon. And Simon held his hand against his belly before he too fell to the ground. His hand turned red. The rich red colour of blood. His own blood. He had been hurt. I went down with him, still holding his hand. I did not know what to do. I could not think straight.

"Can someone help us? My husband has been stabbed," I called out. Simon looked at me. His eyes were filled with tears.

" I am scared baby," he said. I was scared too, but I could not tell him that. He probably knew it already.