Chapter fifty: Simon

Sara had been acting a bit weird at the beginning of the semester. She sat with her phone a lot more and spent even later nights at the stables. The first day of school she had been upset, but had not wanted to tell me why. She had just shut the door and went to bed. Wilhelm had told me not to worry too much, but I couldn't help myself. I hoped it had nothing to do with August returning to Hillerska. He had fucked up our lives enough.

"Are you coming home after school today or are you staying at school?" mom asked me before I left for the school bus. We had training early in the morning, so Wille and I had decided that I would sleep in his dorm that following night. And honestly I missed sleeping next to him. I had gotten so used to it during the summer especially. We had spent more nights together than apart.

"We have rowing practice tomorrow morning so I am staying with Wilhelm tonight" I said. I told mom good bye and then Sara and I went to the bus together.

"How is it in the stables with that new guy Marcus?" I asked her. I sensed that she was more tense when I mentioned his name. Had he been rude to her? Was he not as nice as he wanted us to think?

"It is fine. He is very nice and he is good with the horses," she said. So he was not rude to her then. Did she like him then? Like really like him?
"Do you like him?" I asked. She looked at me with wide eyes.

"Like who?" Rosh asked. She and Ayoub had just gotten on the bus. They sat behind us.

"No one. Simon is just a bit nosy about the new guy in our class. His parents own the stables and he hangs out there a lot," Sara replied, a bit too fast to be entirely trustworthy.

"Then it is not a no one. You are apparently talking about if you like the new stable boy or not," Ayoub teased. Sara looked at us like we were three fools. We just laughed and she grinned too.

"You guys are so annoying," she said.

"So you like him then?" Rosh said.

"I did not say that," Sara replied.

"But why are we annoying if you don't like him?" I kept teasing.

"Because you are!" She said.

"So she definitely likes him then," Rosh said laughing so hard her belly must have been hurting after a while. Sara acted as the big sister who was very annoyed by her little brother and his friends the rest of the way to Hillerska. We did not speak more about Marcus, but about new school work we were assigned. When we got inside I went to Wilhelm's dorm. Malin was standing in her usual spot. She smiled when I got closer to her.

"Good morning, Malin," I said.

"Good morning, Simon. Wilhelm has not answered yet, so I bet that he is still sleeping," she said. I nodded.

"Well don't worry. I will get him up some way or another," I said.

"I don't doubt that," she said with a grin. I got inside Wilhelm's room. When I closed the door after me I saw him open his eyes. I took my shoes and jacket off and went to lie next to him.

"Have you had a nice morning?" Wilhelm asked. I nodded.

"But Sara might be a little annoyed with me," I said. Wilhelm looked at me.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because she might or might not have a crush on the new guy Marcus," I said. Wilhelm laughed at me.

"Sara is annoyed with you because she likes someone? How come?" Wille asked. He probably suspected that I had been nosy or a tease.

"Because I have been nosy," I confessed.

"Simon Eriksson, be nice to your sister," Wille said seriously. Then we both grinned and I then kissed him the first time that morning.

"I promise I will be nice," I said. He laughed. He knew I would tease her loads. She could see it as revenge.

"I will want to see it to believe you," he giggled. "But she really has a crush on Marcus?" Wilhelm was just as bad as me when it came to be a tease in reality. I nodded.

"I am pretty sure. She is acting weird. Like real weird. Not big sister weird," I said. "And especially if you mention his name. She is almost blushing and becomes very defensive."

"She has a crush then," Wilhelm stated. "And you will drive her mad I am sure." I laughed.

"Almost as much as I drive you mad," I joked.

"Almost as much as you drive me mad," he agreed. "But since you are so cute I can live with that." I kissed him. I felt him kiss me back as he pressed his lips to mine.

******

"We think that Sara has a crush on Marcus," Wilhelm said. Felice looked at us with big eyes.

"I thought Marcus had a crush on Sara?" She replied.

"What?" I said.

"You have not seen those eyes when he looks at her in the stables. That boy looks like he is in love already," Felice said. "I mean I can't blame him. Sara is like the sweetest human being I know. If she was a guy I would have asked her out on a date myself."

"Too bad you are not gay then," I said with a grin.

"You don't say. It is a real pain to date guys," Felice said.

"I know," Wilhelm said teasingly.

"Hey. What are you implying here?" I replied, jokingly offended.

"Nothing," he said and kissed me. "Well maybe that you can be a tiny bit annoying when you are so perky in the morning." I laughed.

"You know what we should do? We should try to set them up on a date," Wilhelm said. I smiled. He was such a romantic.

"You guys are mental sometimes, you know that right?" Felice said.

"Have not noticed that, no," I said with a laugh.

"How would you set up a date then?" Felice asked.

"Maybe put a note in their lockers?" Wilhelm proposed.

"I will write the one for Marcus then," Felice said.

"Why is that?" I asked.

"I can't believe any of you can imitate her hand writing enough," Felice teased.

"Then Wilhelm will have to write the one for Sara," I said.

"Why?" Felice asked.

"I am her brother. She knows my handwriting," I said.

"Right. I almost forgot that it is her own brother and his boyfriend who is trying to set her up with the new boy in school," she teased.