74: Crown Prince's Confession

It's been a few days since Xiao Si met with the Emperor about the events involving Liang Huan and Liang Meng Yao. This day saw a heavy snowfall and usually the Imperial Court would not gather in such weather. But the Emperor had decreed a meeting with the full compliment of ministers so even General Feng had to come along with the Crown Prince.

The officials were all curious about what matter could be so important that the Emperor would call them all to court like this. Every one of them bowed their heads as the Crown Prince and the Emperor entered the hall. Curiosity and anticipation shone on their faces.

The Emperor walked to his throne with the same measured pace he always used. Xiao Si followed exactly two steps behind the Emperor, for no one is allowed to walk beside the Emperor – not even the Empress.

The Emperor seated himself on the throne and then looked down at the people kneeling before him.

"Greetings to your imperial majesty! May the heavens bestow blessings upon you for the greatness and leadership you have given us! May your days be long and your health never fail! May the heavens and our loyalty bless you and may you rule for ten thousand years!"

(A/N: okay I'm sorry if the greeting sounds off I don't remember how the real greetings goes so this is mostly made up so be free to correct me)

After reciting the greeting in unison, the officials waited for the emperor to acknowledge them.

"Rise," the Emperor commanded, his voice stronger than his haggard appearance suggested.

Everyone stood and then turned their eyes on the regal, elderly man. Wang Feng grinned inwardly as he stared at the Emperor, his father-in-law. He had to admit that the Emperor was doing great for such a sickly man. He looked so stern that no one would suspect he was dying.

"Zhen’s heart is warm at the sight of all my loyal officials,” the Emperor said. His voice was dry and emotionless as he recited the words that he usually used to open court session. No one took them seriously. “You have all been called here today because of important information my son, your crown prince, has to share.”

Though the old man's voice was somewhat hoarse, it was still clear and filled with authority. He was getting on in years and he knew his days would have been coming to an end even without the poison. He had looked forward to the day he could pass his empire to his son and Minister Liang but he now knew that day would never come.

The child that had felt like his own flesh and blood was gone and never coming back. All his hard work would go to his enemy if this didn’t work. The Emperor was unwilling to give his throne to the traitors who had poisoned him and infiltrated his court.

The people bowed again as Xiao Si stepped forward to stand beside his father’s throne. Although Xiao Si wasn't as strong as he had been in the past, he still had a strong aura. Now he had resolved that he would no longer wait in the shadows while the enemy moved freely. He and his father would now fight back.

"First things first,” Xiao Si began, his voice as cold as the wind gusting outside and as filled with authority as his father’s. “I shall begin with a confession about my elopement twenty years ago with Minister Liang Huan."
Xiao Si had resolved that he would no longer remain silent. The truth must be known for his deceased husband’s sake, for his child’s sake, and for his father’s sake. He would no longer allow secrets to weaken his family and allow others to take advantage of them.
Wang Feng just smiled. He didn't feel threatened by Xiao Si’s revelations at all. It didn’t matter Xiao Si admitted to his runaway marriage nor would it matter if Xiao Si accused him of killing Liang Huan. After all, everyone present at the time could see that Liang Huan jumped all by himself.

The officials sighed in their hearts. This was why the Emperor called them? It’s not as if everyone hadn’t figured that out when the two went missing at the same time that year. It’s not as if matters from twenty years ago were important to clarify on a snowy winter’s day. Why the haste to drag everyone from their nice warm homes right now and not do this another time?

"During my elopement I had a child with Minister Liang," the Crown Prince continued, shocking the impatient officials.

The people froze and a low murmur started. The officials’ interest was now piqued as they turned to each other with the same question on their lips and in their eyes: “A child?”
If there had been a child back then, where had he been all of this time? And why reveal the child now? Feng Chong Lin’s faint amusement had vanished and now suspicion colored his face. Where was Xiao Si going with this? Why mention the child who had died twenty years ago? Was this a new attempt to bring him down?

"Allow me to introduce my oldest child to you,” Xiao Si said calmly. From start to finish, he hadn’t so much as glanced Chong Lin’s way. He did, however, fix his eyes on the doorkeepers standing on either side of the entrance. “Open the doors and let him in.”

The two servants opened the large doors, revealing a person whose black cloak was dusted with snowflakes. Everyone whispered as he walked up the aisle to the base of the stairs that led to the dragon throne. As he passed General Feng he paused for a second, throwing a venom-filled glance at the general. Feng Chong Lin looked back at him with narrowed eyes.

Those eyes where very similar to Xiao Si’s but the mouth pressed into a line of distain and contempt was just like that of another man. The eyes that he had obviously inherited from Xiao Si were colored with anger and hatred, much like Xiao Si’s always were, but this person radiated energy and strength unlike the defeated Xiao Si.
Chong Lin looked up to find Xiao Si looking back at him and the resemblance between the two became even clearer because Xiao Si was no longer the weak man he had been these past twenty years. He had clearly found a reason to live.
Chong Lin’s eyes snapped back to the cloaked person as he slowly pulled back the hood of the cloak from, revealing silk-like, silver hair, fair jade-like skin, and brown phoenix eyes with a mole under the right eye. The person was Liang Meng Yao.

Edited by Relendria