75: Is He A True Imperial Blood

The court was now filled with loud whispers as the officials expressed their shock. No one dared to question the claim Xiao Si had not yet voiced. Except for the eyes that he obviously inherited from Xiao Si, Meng Yao’s face was an exact replica of Minister Liang’s.

Chong Lin clenched his fists within his sleeves, hiding his anger. He couldn't say anything and remaining silent simply increased his fury. Elsewhere Ming Shou Shan was trying to mask his astonishment. Meng Yao? That brash, perpetually smiling, shameless man was the Emperor’s grandson?

"This is the child that I bore for Liang Huan. This is my son, Liang Meng Yao," Xiao Si announced clearly. His voice was filled with pride, love, and a strong thread of challenge. His gaze swept over the murmuring crowd with disdain.

The officials were filled with questions. Why had this prince not been raised as an officially recognized child of the Crown Prince? Why was he being revealed now? What did the Emperor intend to do about Xiao Si’s other son – the one everyone had assumed would be the next Crown Prince? The questions that needed to be answered seemed to multiply with each moment that passed.

Suddenly one of the officials took a step away from the ranks and bowed briefly before speaking.

"How can we be sure this person is actually a member of the Imperial family, your Majesty?" The man’s tone was calm and cold. No trace of discomfort marred his face at all.

Xiao Si narrowed his eyes as he glared down at the official who had spoken. He stood next to the officials who were lined up to the right of the emperor. Xiao Si easily recognized the man as one of Chong Lin’s staunch supporters, Jun You.

"Are you questioning my honesty?" Xiao Si asked in a voice filled with cold malice. He disliked this man to begin with and insulting a member of the Imperial family by questioning the truth of their words was a potentially deadly insult.

"I am not,” Jun You responded immediately but his calm expression never changed. “However, how are we officials to know the origins of this person? He has never been seen before. Even though he clearly resembles the late Minister Liang, we have no proof he is a member of the Imperial family. The purity of the Imperial family is not a matter that can be determined by mere words, your Imperial Highness."

Xiao Si’s anger grew.

"So you are calling me a liar, Marquis Jun," Xiao Si pointed out, his voice cold enough to cause frostbite.

"Did I call you a liar? I've never said anything of the sort,” the Marquis insisted blandly. “I am merely pointing out that bringing forth a stranger and claiming they are of Imperial blood requires proof. Surely you can understand that we officials need assurance of his relationship to the royal family."

Meng Yao observed Marquis Jun without being obvious about it. He was eloquent and one to be wary of. Already Meng Yao could see many members of the court were being swayed by his words. It was clear that he held a great deal of authority in the court. He remained silent, however. At this point, he has no title or authority. He can only observe and learn.

Chong Lin was observing as well. Meng Yao’s resemblance to the Old Fox was undeniable and Chong Lin’s hatred swelled for the Fox’s cub who was obviously studying the assembled officials. Compared to the Old Fox, he was conspicuous and clumsy with his scrutiny.  Minister Liang had clearly failed to teach the cub subtlety.

His inept actions indicated that he didn't have Liang Huan’s sharp instincts for manipulating others. Meng Yao clearly wasn’t good at moving to the rhythm of others. A cocky grin twitched Chong Lin’s lips as he realized that Xiao Si's blood seemed to have diluted his enemy’s fearsome intellect. His confidence soared but anger still burned within his heart. His own son, whom he raised preciously since birth, had betrayed him for the Fox’s cub and a she-man who barely spoke to him.

Xiao Si reined in his temper and took a few, inconspicuous, calming breaths.

"So the court is full of fear?" Xiao Si asked sarcastically. “Then we must certainly prove my son’s royal identity.”

"Yes, if he passes the test then he will be acknowledged as the First Prince of Qing,” Jun You agreed in an unctuous voice that practically shouted how unlikely that was before going on, “but if he fails, he will die for the crime of falsely claiming an Imperial identity and conspiring to deceive the Emperor."

Both the Emperor and Xiao Si were surprised by Jun You’s confidence and arrogance.

"Marquis Jun, remember that I am the only who gives orders here," the Emperor rebuked him in a mild voice that was somehow more authoritative than a shout would have been.

Jun You nodded but his haughty expression didn’t change.

"Your Majesty,” he argued mildly, “if the boy is lying then it is a huge offense against the royal family and an insult to you personally. Minister Liang would never allow such an insult to go unpunished."

"Yes, that's true,” an official noted slowly. “Even if it's own blood, Minister Liang wouldn’t have left him unpunished."

"Indeed,” another official added. “Any insult against the Emperor was always dealt with harshly by Minister Liang."

The murmurs in the court swelled in agreement as Meng Yao watched. The ease with which they were swayed clearly showed the authority and respect his father had once held in this government. The fact that the Marquis knew just mentioning Minister Liang could sway the opposing side of the court showed that Jun You was an opponent to respect. Meng Yao knew that this gamble would risk his life but he had no other option at this point.

Xiao Si had told him that General Feng had a great deal of authority within the court but Meng Yao had underestimated just how bad it was. The General hadn’t spoken a single word but the crowd was already supporting his goals.

Meng Yao eyes met the General, only to find the man already staring at him with a challenge. Meng Yao could feel the hatred this man felt for him and his own eyes narrowed as his spine straightened. He could tell that Chong Lin had already determined much of his abilities – and someone with such insight was definitely a danger – but he couldn’t deny there was a part of him that was suddenly energized by the challenge. This man had forced his father and his daddy apart and had harmed his daddy for twenty years. Part of Meng Yao looked forward to the upcoming battle with the man who had indirectly caused him a childhood of suffering. Even though he had never dealt with a tricky person like this, Meng Yao found his determination to win rising.

"So, your Imperial Majesty, do you agree – for the sake of the harmony of Great Qing?" Jun You's tone remained unchanged. It was just as calm and matter-of-fact as it had been from the very start.

Edited by Relendria