77: Alleged Child

The capital city of Qing was buzzing with rumors and chatter early the next morning. The front page of the paper was dominated by a headline that startled everyone who saw it.

Alleged Son of Minister Liang and Crown Prince Revealed!

"Why now?” one man scoffed in disbelief. “This is just a sensational rumor to sell more papers, right?”

"But it says in the article that many of the ministers have confirmed that the Crown Prince did, indeed, produce a young man who looks very much like Minister Liang – and he’s the right age too,” another person argued.

"If it’s true then why was this person only being revealed now? It’s been almost twenty years! Where has he been all this time? Why has he been hidden for so long? Is there something wrong with him?" This offered by a pretty, young she-man who had stopped by to pick up a morning paper.

"That's why I say this is all bullshit,” the original man huffed with irritation. “Everyone knows that Minister Liang didn't have any lovers or children and he certainly wouldn't have disrespected the Emperor by begetting an illegitimate child with the Crown Prince!"

"But the Crown Prince admitted that they eloped together," the she-man said with a slightly misty look in his eyes at the romantic nature of this mystery man’s origins.

"That’s true," a stout, middle-aged she-man agreed with a similar misty look. “Why would the Crown Prince lie about such a thing?”

This scene was played out in inns and teahouses and small markets throughout the capital city. Some people were excited at the thought of some part of the beloved Minister Liang living on and others were livid that an imposter was trying to tarnish Liang Huan’s memory. In the end, however, it was the most exciting news that the people of the capital had been given since the disappearance of Minister Liang and the Crown Prince so many years ago.

Enlai looked at Shou Shan after reading the article in the morning paper that Shou Shan had handed him.

"Are you sure this new royal offspring is Meng Yao?"

"I was there and saw Meng Yao with my own eyes. I only saw Minister Liang briefly a few times as a child, so I don't remember exactly how he looked but the older members of the court seemed to feel there was a strong resemblance. The Commander of the Imperial Guard said that Meng Yao is the spitting image of Minister Liang. Tell me, Enlai, what do you know of Meng Yao?" Shou Shan was concerned about this development. His initial, bad impression of Meng Yao had faded a lot but this matter was related to the throne and no minor matter. He needed information to make wise choices in the future.

"I don’t really know much at all about him,” Enlai answered thoughtfully. “He was found washed up on the riverbank after a stormy night. He said the only thing he could remember was being kicked out by his people. He stayed with my father and I until my father kicked him out.”
Enlai glossed over the part about her father and the chief’s anger when they realized there would be no rich payout for saving Meng Yao.
“That was when the Chief ordered him to marry Jia Yi or leave the village. He married Jia Yi so I assume he was telling the truth about having nowhere to go.”

Enlai gently folded up the paper and put it aside before turning his attention back to the books before him. He had decided to remain in the home to learn after the incident with Shou Fang. Shou Shan has assured Enlai that he had dealt with Shou Fang but Enlai wasn’t willing to return to the academy yet.

Shou Shan didn't argue with him and arranged for tutors to visit from the academy. He had also had his people set up a study area off to one side of his own study. The two had quickly become comfortable sharing the room as they each worked on their own tasks.

"They seem so loving," Shou Shan mumbled to himself. “No one would ever know that their marriage was forced on them by others.”

"Yes, you could call them a match made in heaven," Enlai agreed with a bit of envy in his voice.

He had always craved someone who would love him as Meng Yao loved Jia Yi. However, he was now grateful that Meng Yao had refused him back in the village because he knew he didn’t have the thick skin to tolerate a shameless flirt like Meng Yao. He wondered just how Jia Yi managed to cope with the embarrassing man but he remembered that Jia Yi had always been a strong and calm person. He truly complimented the brash man he had married.

Enlai chuckled at his thoughts, catching Shou Shan's attention.

"Hm?"

Shou Shan glanced over and saw Enlai softly blushing and muffling a quiet chuckle behind his hand. Enlai seemed even more beautiful at that moment, with his rosy cheeks and sparkling eyes. Shou Shan’s face flushed at the sight and he quickly turned his attention back to the work on his desk, trying to hide the flustered expression on his face.

Meng Yao looked at Jia Yi who lay sleeping uneasily and holding on to him tightly. Yesterday, when he explained everything that had happened in court to Jia Yi, his beloved Jiajia had shocked him silly. When he casually mentioned that Jun You had demanded he be punished for the crime of deceiving the Emperor if the test failed to determine his relation to the Imperial family, Jia Yi had slapped him so hard that Meng Yao was pretty sure he had a bruise on his jaw. Before Meng Yao had recovered from the surprise of his gentle spouse becoming violent, the man who never spoke harshly to anyone was already yelling at him.

After loudly scolding his husband for putting his life in danger, Jia Yi had burst into tears and sobbed that Meng Yao didn’t really love him or their unborn son because he was risking leaving them forever. Nothing Meng Yao could say had calmed Jia Yi and he was finally reduced to holding his beloved as Jiajia sobbed himself to sleep.

Meng Yao gently stroked his beloved’s hair as he slept. Combing those silken strands with his fingers calmed him almost as much as it did Jia Yi. He pulled Jia Yi into a more comfortable position with his love’s head resting on his chest. Jia Yi’s grip on his robes tightened again before relaxing once more when Meng Yao remained glued to his side.

"Jiajia,” Meng Yao whispered softly. He was unwilling to wake his exhausted spouse but felt impelled to scold him anyway. “You are pregnant so you shouldn't worry so much."
He kissed Jia Yi’s temple and noticed that the frown that had been creasing Jia Yi’s brows was smoothing out. He didn’t know if Jia Yi was just sleeping more deeply or if his words were reaching the man but he spoke on, still in the same quiet tones.
“You should know that I wouldn’t take a losing gamble,” he shared in a calm and soothing voice. “I always have something up my sleeve to tilt the odds in my favor and this time is no different. Don’t worry, my love, I will not leave you or our son. I am not my father.”
No ancient blood test could trap him – no matter what tricks the opposition thought they were going to play.

Edited by Relendria