Twenty Seven.

When I woke up, I expected to see Felix next to me. He wasn't there. Maybe he'd got up early?

I stood up, ready to go to the kitchen, but what I saw terrorized me. Felix lay on the floor, in a pool of blood.

I bent down and gently shook him. He didn't react. "Felix." I  called softly. "Bab." No reply.

Was he breathing? I put my hand next to his mouth. Yes, he was, but only just.

What the hell happened? Had he cut himself again?

I carefully pulled down his sleeves to reveal the cuts from yesterday, which were bleeding horridly. But no new ones though.

Quickly, I picked up the phone and dialled 999. "Hello? What service do you need? " a lady asked.

"Ambulance! Now!" I screamed, suddenly realising fully that my boyfriend might be dying.  There was a beep and another voice appeared.

"How may I help-" she started.

"My boyfriend is lying on the floor covered in blood and he won't wake up." I panicked.

"An ambulance is on its way." The lady said calmly.

................................

A doctor approached me in the waiting room. "Hi. Adrianna?"

I nodded.

"You can see Felix now." He smiled. Nervously, I got up and followed the doctor.

Jesus, this had happened so quickly.

When I turned the corner and saw Felix, my heart melted. He was still unconscious, and was hooked up to a bunch of tubes.  His face was so peaceful, but his surroundings were so sinister.

The doctor got me a chair and I sat down, sadly. "What happened? Is he going to live?" I asked worriedly.

"It appears that some cuts on his arms became infected and bled tremendously. He has lost a lot of blood." The doctor sighed.

"Will he live?" I asked again.

"Well, probably." The doctor bit his lip.

I gasped and turned to look at Felix. Probably? So he could die? How would I live without Felix?

We had so many plans. Felix and I were going to run away together, to leave our past behind.  Now he might be gone. 

Reaching my hand out to touch Felix's face, I felt tears in my eyes. I've never cried as much as I have these last two days.

Usually, Felix snuffled and moved in his sleep, but now he lay flat on his back, completely still. "Stay strong bab. You got this. Why don't you wake up and then we can go and do something fun?" I whispered.

I thought about yesterday, when Felix started the fire. He was burning his past, piece by piece.

But you can't always outrun your past.