Interlude: Kotori Itsuka

...

Time: October 16th 2023 

Location: Tengu City, Japan

It was a disaster. The Fraxinus had been shot down, killing all the crew with the exception of the commander Kotori Itsuka and Head Analyst Reine Murasame.

A massive hulking figure was making it's advance to the wreckage. It had just offered one of the mana infused beings power and survival, in exchange for contribution to it's plans. However, it realized it needed a less intimidating appearence to recruit the rest, as it scared the first member to it's cause.

The sound of footsteps on the awakened the Head analyst. She lay on the ground, unwounded, but covered in dirt. It was not the only reason. She noticed her arm was starting to fade, disolve into dust. then it began to spread to her entire body. She tried to regenerate, but something was stopping her.

 She tried to regenerate, but something was stopping her

A man stopped stood in front of Reine. Her cold blue eyes looked the fiery yellow ones of the man, rather than a massive demonic beast.. He kneeled down and asked.

"Do you want to survive and achieve your objectives, in exchange for assisting in my own plans? Or do you want to perish along with the rest of this dying planet?"

Reine Murasame did not know what to say, but her whole body told her not to trust that man, for which he was not human, or even spirit.

"I refuse your offer, I would rather disappear than let my life be controlled by your ambitions." She responded in a cold voice.

"Respectable. I will acknowledge your response and move on to the next candidate."

The man acknowleged her answer with no objection, for which he saw her thoughts through his clairvoyance. As he approached the Commander of the Fraxinus, Reine's eyes widened and try to advance to the man but the process of erasure was completed, her last moments looking  a the man walk towards the unconscious form of Kotori Itsuka. She did not try to yell, although she hoped her close friend she had worked with years will refuse the man's offer...

...

But the opposite happened. Kotori Itsuka had only just awoke after Reine disappeared, and Kotori found herself in the same situation. Noticing her body had already begun to dissolve into nothing, she panicked, but her eyes caught of the man. The man proceeded to ask her the same question as her crewmate, and she frowned.

"Why should I trust a stranger like you?"

"Your sibling has perished during the conflict, and an individual was responsible for it. Five years ago the individual had started to divert this timeline and make it collapse, due to his actions."

Kotori did not move a single inch. She was shocked that her brother perished. But that was a wild claim, since she had never seen this man in her life before.