Chapter 9: Aftereffects

Elias knew he had diverted the timeline to a new branch and screwed the whole story over from here and then onwards. As he looked down, the knockoff sword of rupture had broke and was of no use anymore, as the components were shredded into pieces and the energy within the sword was gone.  

He had decided to go to Phantom and interrogate her. As he flew, there was no one gone. To Elias's dismay, his Demon King was not strong enough to restrain her. 

"Dammit, I should not have been rude and told her to stay rather than take extra measures to keep her here." 

He immediately flew away from the site, not wanting to deal with the AST again. Ironically, he questioned why they haven't appeared during his fight with Origami, it having a long duration. He guessed it was because they were actually helping people move away from the fire than dealing directly with the situation.

As he went over the burnt residential area, he looked down and notices someone on the ground that looked familiar to him.

"Hey, thats Shido from 5 years from now. Why is he turning into dust? Oh shit! Looks my actions had caused a massive time paradox and now he is going to be erased forever, since he is from the future. Gotta apologize and reveal everything I know to him, just so he knows the truth."

He started his descent to the ground at a slow speed, with Shido noticing and looked shocked at the presence of him, and his face turned from fear into rage. 

...

Shido was scared, for the first time he knew he was going to die for certain, not even Kotori's <Camael> could save him from his. Kurumi had been cut off mysteriously, and now he was turning to dust, surprisingly not painful, no one nearby to scream help for. 

All of a sudden, as it appeared nowhere, the black being that had fought Origami earlier came in front of him, floating down and touching the ground gently. It was an inverse spirit just from the aura, a much more powerful one than Tohka and Origami. 

They looked at each other, unmoving. Shido began to formulate what had just happened, as the dots connected, he realized what it had done. Shido gritted his teeth as the being finally spoke

"Sorry Shido, I had to do all of this to achieve my goal. You may not know who I am, but I am here to tell you everything." 

"Do what?! Turn Origami into an inverse spirit?!! Why?!"

Even though he was slowly being erased into nothingness, Shido's anger was clear, at what he assumed the spirit had done, and was directed towards it.

"No no no, I do not claim any responsibility of turning that person inverse. She did it herself by killing her parents in a crossfire. I had to intervene to stop her from doing that."

"Then why am I getting erased?! Was it you?!"

"Because a new timeline is forming, and because I stopped Origami from chasing Phantom and made her change targets to me. There will be a you, probably with many similarities, but probably also a few differences." 

The inverse spirit wanted to say that he was not smart enough to deduce that a new timeline was forming because of his actions, but such insults would have an impact on him in the future. He took responsibility, and decided to emphasize on his earlier statement.

"Before you disappear, I want to tell you something" 

"What is it?" Shido had calmed down a bit, but it was still clear he was still agitated by it's presence