Nothingness

A voice message- the 6th one this hour, at least from Lucille's number. I hadn't the slightest idea what could possibly keep her from answering my call. Trying not to think much of it didn't work well enough, as those dark thoughts eventually consumed my mind. I knew little of what being a hybrid entailed, but I knew how unpredictable and unstable our nature can be when exposed to extreme stress. Lately, I hadn't been feeling well since visiting the demon camp with Azrail- my heart rate was slower and my sleep was still and uneventful. I didn't have time to contemplate my change as nothing had explicitly happened, moreover I feared it was my distance from her that made me feel this way.

In the end, this feeling reminded me of something unpleasant- The words I hated the most had become who I was: unpredictable and unstable. Uncontrollable Chaos.

Thankfully, I received a report from the exterminators I sent to Lucille's pack in the afternoon. They notified me of something utterly foolish and unreasonable- that Lucille insisted on leading the exterminators herself, joining them on the outing. Artemis had been the one to inform me, due to the order of operations I devised. At the same time, I made preparations with Art' to reschedule my travel plans a day early.

A car ride, a train ride, another car ride- that was all it took to get there with haste. I planned to immediately depart- notifying Azrail of my change in plans only after I left. If I didn't take such measures, he would delay me with unnecessary tasks and escorts or even suggest joining me.

While my things were packed and the delegation or work seemed to go smoothly- Unfortunately, Azrail being the lucky bastard that he is, caught me rushing out the front door just in time. He was supposed to be resting during the daytime, but I had slowly been reassigning his work back to him, making him busier while I prepared my trip.

"Where are you going?" He silently demanded. He stood in my way with that looming, intimidating figure of his- the only vampire I couldn't dismiss.

"To Lucille." I glared directly into his eyes. He did not wilt at my gaze, but surprisingly understood it, giving me his typical solemn attitude.

"Okay, go." Is all he said before stepping aside. I noticed then that Judith had been by his side, from where his body shielded the sun's glare. Not thinking much of it, I rushed out the door, vaguely overhearing someone note how dark and cold they suddenly felt.

Usually Azrail would insist on joining me, but I knew with this sudden change in plans, he could not immediately shirk his position as Grand Duke and King of the Vampire Underworld. Nonetheless, the tricky Duke sent three escorts to travel alongside me all throughout the different mode of transportation. He did seem a little different when he looked at me.

When we arrived in the city via train, I had forcefully taken control of the car ride to Lucille's pack. Admittedly, I did feel an unnerving chill settle in my bones, and my hair looked to be a lot darker than I remembered. The road was clear but in passing moments I would catch a dark glare in the rearview mirror.
They looked- well... they reminded me of Juliet. Without a moment to dwell on the stranger, my phone rang with the subtle indication that it was Lucille. Unless you were paying attention, that repetitious jingle might sound the same as any other. I designed it as I had my doorbell, yet that familiar ring did not make my heart stir as it usually did.

I picked up the phone while slowing down at turn, weaving in between the cars along the highway shortly after. I know I'm not really aware of my actions, but the ignorance was comfortable and stubborn. The silent and smoothness of the ride was deceptively underestimating its speed, which was already grounds for haphazard driving. Meanwhile, some unconscious part of me took the wheel as I was consumed by the nature of this call.