Curiosity and the Cat

I felt a lot better after feeding on the three rogue wolves. I almost forgot about the fourth as it made a lunge at me; It was abruptly charged by a bigger wolf crashing into its side and tearing out its jugular.

I stood before that wolf now, its green eyes eerily similar... I tilted my head and sighed as it came to me. This was Lucille- of course she would be a strong canine. A big one at that too; strange, particularly for a female. She must be high in ranking amongst the wolves of her pack.

I assumed this was our destination. The territorial scent is becoming more and more similar to Lucille's, though not as potent.

The huge brown wolf met me eye to eye, striding toward me. Her fur shimmered in the starlight, the shadows of the leaves cascaded across her broad back and shoulders. But even as the world seemed to thunder with each step, I didn't feel fearful of the powerful creature growing closer. Her vibrant green eyes were reflective of the nature around us- I got lost in them.

Truthfully, I've defeated far more fearsome wolves than she, who appeared to me like the Goddess of the Moon. 

Lucille circled me, searching for injuries I suppose, like she did before. She nudged my back toward the direction we were heading, her snout pressed to my shoulders. I'm guessing if she changed back now she'd be naked.

I walked forward, Lucille by my side with my hand on her shoulders as we traveled. Her fur felt surprisingly soft and I was lost in the moment, petting her head and playing with her floppy ears. Looking up at the pale sky, i saw the great expanse turning lighter with each passing moment- the sun threatened to rise in the east.

It was ethereal. As if all the living creatures tonight were waking up, I could hear the sweet morning song of birds chirping as I strode with Lucille through the otherwise still forest. The crunching of leaves beneath our feet the only rhythm I bothered to pay attention to. I noted some stubborn reminiscence in my subconsciousness.

*LUCILLE POV*.

We were close to the town when I heard other wolves approaching. I recognized the scent and formation as being one belonging to the pack patrol. Four wolves surrounded me, following through with rogue procedure- not at all what i expected of my well trained patrol. I realized they perhaps smelled rogue blood on Chaos and assumed she was one of them. That signature ashy lumber scent was smeared all over Chaos' mouth and clothing. Any sensible werewolf would've recognized the silver glow of her eyes as being uncharacteristic for a rogue, yet they prowled unyieldingly, despite my presence.

I made a low growl, warning for them to stand down. They should have responded immediately as I trained them too, and they almost did. I was surprised and pissed that they didn't back off right away, knowing who I was. Even more so that they continued their pursuit despite it.

In a split second I threw Chaos onto my back. I didn't have time for this, the sun was about to peak. I dodged their advances easily and took off when I had an opening. Knowing they could catch up, I made a little maneuvering through the familiar trees and tricky paths. It took longer than I had expected, however, I was able to shake them off long enough to reach the clearing to the alpha house.

I howled for my little brother, who appeared in the door just in time for me to make a sprint through it, brushing past him hazardously into the hallways and up the stairs to my bedroom. I nudged my door closed and threw Chaos onto the bed. She'd slipped into a nap somehow.

"Lucy?" A sudden voice spoke.
I jumped in front of Chaos and narrowed my eyes at the silhouette by the door. The dark figure flicked on the lights and I was forced to acknowledge this familiar presence.

"Woah! Wait! It's me, Kai."
Kai held his hands up as if to say he had no ill-intent. I snorted, making a gesture that it was amusing I considered him a threat.
"Heyy!" he groaned.

I trotted into the bathroom attached to my bedroom and transformed back into my human form. I hastily washed the rogue blood off my mouth and I dressed myself in a long sleeved sweater dress before stepping out. I found my younger brother, Kai, admiring Chaos. He reached his hand out, as if to touch her out of curiosity. I reached out quickly and seized his wrist, stopping him in his tracks.

"Ow Ow! I'm sorry, I was just curious." Kai whimpered and rubbed his wrist having pulled from my grasp. I instinctively rolled my eyes. Always the drama queen, I didn't even grab him that hard.

"Where's the Alpha?" I switched.
I settled on the edge of my bed, between my brother and Chaos. I looked at her slender fingers and was mesmerized by the color brought back to her skin, how lively she seemed.

My brother searched between Chaos and I, perplexed. "Wait, is she your-"

"Yes. Where is the alpha?" I reiterated. I brushed her hair out of her face briefly, preparing to tear myself from that trance. I stood up and turned my back to her as I walked away.

"Darren is in his office." Kai gestured behind him in the general direction of the Alpha's office. He really should behave in a more formal matter toward our Alpha. Our support as his immediate family, firmly establishes the Alpha's position.

I took Kai by the wrist once more and dragged him behind me as I exited my bedroom door. I only turned around briefly to lock the door for security-

But, I don't have a lock on the outside of my door. I almost facepalmed and sighed in resignation as it hit me.

"If this is what having a mate does to you, I don't want it." Kai had watched me fumble for a nonexistent lock and turned to walk away.

I smacked him in the back of his head. Resolving that Chaos was more than capable of caring for herself whilst we receded.
Together, I reached out to the Alpha's office door and knocked. Before I could make another knock, my older brother bursted through the doors and gathered me in a big hug.

"A-Alpha!" I exclaimed.
"Lucy, I missed you so much!" Darren emphasized, tightening his arms around me. I was borderline suffocating.

I somehow was able to squeeze out a full sentence.  "um, Alpha, I have a report on the mission I came back from and other matters I need to mention."

I didn't hug my brother back, which became quite awkward. To make up for this, I gave him a feeble pat on the back. I softly added, "I-I missed you too Darren".

Me and my brothers were always playful with each other, I took the hull of being a stern mother figure for them when our Luna disappeared. When our father passed away, Darren had become Alpha in his stead. Naturally, I became his second-in-command and Beta. During Darren's Crowning Ceremony, I had inherited heightened powers equal to that of a beta.

The previous Beta didn't argue much, he often helped me in the kitchen trying to make meals for my idiotic brothers. He had no impulse to overthrow me either, since his powers had simultaneously dwindled as my own grew to fruition.

His son had a romantic interest in me that i never reciprocated. He was a good fighter so I never really put him in his place for the inappropriate advances. Now that I had Chaos, I have to make sure he knows his place.

I wonder if she would accept me as her mate... Does she know?

"Alpha, its imperative that I tell you the details of my mission." Darren reluctantly pulled away and ruffled my hair. I knew he only acted this way to avoid doing any work.

"Alright Lucy, come inside", He sighed dejectedly.

Darren walked back to his desk with renewed exhaustion and I found the Luna on the couch, to whom I made a taut bow to. She waved off my formalities and gave me a friendly smile.

"Now, onto business." Darren let out another exasperated sigh as he settled into his tall, domineering Office chair.

I behind me, I heard the door close shut as Kai prepared the room for the meeting.