Liars Trial

"Chaos Diathyst, did you not have a blood-fated?"

What? What a ridiculous ques-

A crack echoed throughout the courtroom, like the sound of wood splitting with force. I had suspected it was Azrail, but that was not the case. Even he looked confused, being just as unable of grasping the direction of Primrose's accusation.

Chaos' unmoving gaze scathingly tore into Primrose's accusation. She did not remove her gaze from the witch, who returned Chaos' open hostility with a smug grin plastered on her face. Blood poured into Chaos' sharp gaze, but she was as still as a statue, gritting her teeth in unsettling silence.

Still, Chaos did not answer.
Would Chaos have had a blood-fated? Wouldn't she tell me something like that?
I felt a weight bare down on my chest; my breathing had become heavier as the Judge finally broke the silence.

"Defendant, how is this relevant to the case?"

"I only ask, your honour, because I believe Lady Diathyst was unprovoked in her aggravated assault and may be mentally unstable."

Azrail's patience was hanging on by a thread. I took his hand and squeezed it reassuringly, for my sake and his. My head was swimming with confusion, a blood-fated? But... what about me? What am I to her?

I barely felt her presence tickle my mind as it was being swept away by these unanswerable questions. I was startled and anticipated her response.

Still, nothing came of it; Only my thoughts existed in my head.
Moreover, this is the first time Chaos has reached out to me through our mate bond. Was she watching?

I looked up, but she did not meet my eyes. Chaos was bristling with rage and did not speak or give any indication she had reached out to me.

Did I imagine it?

No, we have a mate bond. We are mates; that's irrefutable. I can't question that.

My nerves dissipated little by little. She still thought of me, and she loved me. I know that... I know.

Why then, am I still hurting?

I remained upset, but I wouldn't let it take root- first thing in order is to understand what was going on first.

"Lady Diathyst?"
The judge waited for Chaos' response, but nothing came from her. Even Evercare had nothing to answer for in this situation.

I leaned over to him to ask about what the trial was for, but he had been called up to the podium just as soon.
Behind me Artemis stood dutifully directly 3 feet behind my chair. My head turned to face her and she caught on, Artemis bent over to ask if I needed anything. I cupped my hand to her ear, to whisper my question.

Artemis returned my hand motion and spoke softly, "It's to establish Primrose's crime but also to decide if Lady Chaos will be held accountable for butchering the defendant."

I nodded in understanding, allowing Art' to back away again.
The judge had spoken to Evercare, and they seemed to have come to a decision. Evercare retreated to his seat on my other side, and I meant to ask him what they spoke about, but the judge announced the new changes.

"Because we're in need of some answers, I will be conducting the questioning of Lady Diathyst's transgressions in Ms Sercha's stead, as it seems doing so will be less taxing for the prosecution." The judge announced in exasperation. She bowed her head over the desk and then resumed as if reading from the defendant's papers.

She leaned into her mic to say the rest, "For those who have just arrived, the trial deciding Primrose Sercha's crime has ruled the defendant guilty of first-degree murder, kidnapping, the illegal conduct of experimentation, human trafficking, child abuse, second-degree murder of the children you've trafficked, revoking your previous punishment..."