Backstabber

**** A WEEK AGO ****

"My Lady? I have your food ready for you." Artemis called out routinely. It's been a week since I brought Lucille back from the bunker. Her health was still unstable, but the spore had dissipated, which was the brunt of the work. 

I was exhausted, my legs and chest still hurt, and I couldn't move too quickly, or everything began to fall apart. I need to feed to heal, but getting up to retrieve my food is a lot to bear.

Lucille was stable; however, I still needed to check her again in another 30 minutes. I can't use the CT or X-ray too much for fear that the radiation will pose another threat to her health. It was probably also posing one to me.

My legs were deteriorating in muscle mass, but I stood up anyways and snatched the flask of blood on the tray. I sat on the floor by my desk and drank it greedily. The blood was fresh too, and still warm. They'd taken this one fresh from the 'juice boxes' in the basement.

I should pass the time by looking at those documents we took from Primrose's bunker. I checked Cora for a quick overview of Lucille's condition to decide if I had time to do so. She only had one kidney, so she needed to keep a healthy diet/lifestyle once she woke to maintain the remaining kidney. 

I decided to leave the crystal that replaced her right kidney. It was harmless to her body, but it might prove useful later; I'll let her decide when she wakes.

Once I finished my drink, I closed the canister and placed it beside me on the floor. On my desk were the oldest records that recollected the beginning of Primrose's experimentation and diaries of days before that. I sat at the desk, where it was comfortable to rest my legs on the cushioned chair. 

After a few minutes of searching, I found papers prevalent in the early stages of Primrose's 'business'. But first, the diaries:

Primrose started experimenting with animals and then monstrously took advantage of a male fairy to conduct her experiments on. That's when she got hooked. 

She got away with the first murder, but the second was not nearly as well swept as the first. She was caught and banished with her powers locked away.

Of course, that's not how things remained. Primrose's documents recount a contract she made with her 'sponsor', a demon who unlocked her powers. However, this contract involved a third party's intervention. The diary had a more detailed narrative...

'The demons cannot cross into the human plane, so for the contract to be fulfilled, they requested that I steal a newborn baby from one of the vampire dukes to conduct my experimentation. The patron says that the baby is a demon and vampire spawn, which would be an interesting addition to my experimentation of hybrids. Demons and vampires are similar species, so this is doable, but my sponsor has also claimed that the child will be powerful, which is needed to endure my procedures. This is perfect. The only problem is that the ducal household is one of the most powerful, both in the demon plane and the human realm.'

My blood had started to go cold. I felt my heart beating louder as I realized how close the truth lay in my hands. I turned the page.

Another entry a week later.
'I want the baby soon, it has to be as soon as it's born or even before, but I can't be too greedy. Today, however, my sponsor responded to me again. He says he's found a co-conspirator to help me isolate the mother and child and that they're also a part of the vampire duke group. I will meet them soon to finalise the planning. I hope the mother will not go into labour before then, I was told she's been preparing for the birth for some weeks, and the child is overdue. She waits for the baby to enact the labour.'

I was still breathing, but I was conscious of every breath. I wasn't sure if I was shaking, but my eyes felt warm with anticipation.

Another entry:
'I met the Co-conspirator today...'