Not my problemo

"Chaos!" Lucille jumped from the car and ran into my arms. It's been a week and one day since I last saw her: my mate. My other half.
I forgot what it felt like to be whole again and yet here she was, re-establishing her place at my side- a place I didn't even know existed within me. Maybe I thought not everyone could be capable of this feeling- myself, for one.

I swooped her up and hugged her close, my arms wrapped around her torso tightly. It was like a breath of relief to have her near me again, to feel her against me. Her voice was addictive. For once, I felt entirely obsessed with her, perhaps my deprivation to her presence sought this redemption. I felt sorry for having ever departed in the first place but one thing is for sure: our bond has grown exponentially. I might've felt alarmed or even overwhelmed, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

"I missed you!" she squealed, her head buried into my hair.

Valentine harrumphed behind me beneath her breath. Being a rogue now, her smell was slightly different, like Pine and cinnamon. It's been a week since we last saw each other, but only one day since she's been a rogue. She wouldn't let me put her down, neither was I willing to. I held her to me and turned my back on the heartbroken Alpha that sat behind tinted windows, watching his little sister leave him.

"Are you hungry?" I asked. A normal person would be hungry by now I suppose.

"Mhm", Lucille nodded. I carried her to the kitchen where the coven was busying themselves making breakfast for everyone.

When I entered they all stopped and stared. I met each eye as they dropped. Then they all stared, or tried to, at Lucille. The apparent rogue wolf in the room.

I walked to the fridge and opened it for her, she chose three croissants and I made her a glass of orange juice. When we left, the bustle began again on the other side of the closed door. She held my hand, her other hand occupied with holding a plate of croissants just as my own left hand was preoccupied with holding her orange juice. We went to the poolside and sat down there. I didnt need to eat human food, but when she offered, I couldn't decline.

Typical of Lucille, she started babying me: giving me sunglasses, feeding me and fixing my disheveled look. I hadn't slept or eaten well since I left her, it was as if I couldn't.

"You know...you don't have to eat everything I offer you", she finally said, taking a huge bite from my own tiny one. "I know you don't need to eat human food."
I know she knows, but i thought it comforted her knowing she was providing me in some way.
"Then why do you keep offering?"

"Because watching you trying to eat human food is funny", she giggled through a mouthful of bread, the sound made me smile.

"What do you mean", I grinned.
"You look like this." Lucille imitated my bored expression as she took a small bite of her croissant.
"How unflattering", I mumbled happily.
"Not really", she added, a slight blush creeping to her cheeks.

"I don't think i've ever seen you smile", Valentine commented, immediately causing my face to harden with disgust. I had let my guard down and the offending scent cane full force with her surprising presence. I suppose she didn't think it was possible for me to smile, given all her failed attempts of buttering me up.

Behind her were a few strong vampires carrying Lucille's bags to my room in the separate mansion. She stared at both of us strangely, her arms crossed in contemplation, as if trying to find the pieces to a puzzle that didn't exist.

"It's simple: I just don't like you," I responded, my joyful mood dissipating in her presence. I was tempted to almost take Lucille somewhere more secluded, where the vile Mosquito wouldn't find us, but... Lucille was still eating. I didn't want to bother her.

"Whatever..." Valentine huffed and sashayed away, following after the buff vampires. Here's hoping she gave up on that familial fantasy of hers.

Lucille and I spent the afternoon in the library together, where I would reveal the times i'd spent in the facility learning all there was to know of the outside world. Usually the recollection would cause me to act in rage, but it felt safe to tell her those things.

I told her about the books they would give me to read and the things I found interest in. I'm relieved that Lucille has given me an objective with my freedom. I imagined I would've become a mercenary and vagabond for the next century of my life. The only thing I was good at was killing.

I didn't really realize what it meant to care for something, it sounded trivial and a waste of time. It came to me how- no matter if it was a grueling task- she was important enough that it didn't matter in the end.

When I told Lucille that, she told me it was cheesy, though her face lit up and glowed ever since. She didn't like being in the presence of the other vampires, so I kept them at bay where I could. However, my methods may have run Stephen's patience loose, enough that he approached Lucille and me after the third day since her arrival.

"We can't have a rogue in this coven, it's making everyone else uncomfortable", he whined.
"Then find her a pack", I spat at him, giving him a sidelong glare.
"You do not speak to me that way."
"I can speak to you however I want." Lucille and I were in the garden behind the separate mansion, I was showing her the hidden fields behind the short barrage of trees. We'd just returned from such an adventure to find Stephen pacing in front of Valentine in front of the fireplace.
"Mother will visit us soon."
"How soon?" Valentine interjected, her eyes blown wide in shock.
"She visits next week." Stephen started pacing again.
"Then you have a week to find Lucille a pack." I took Lucille's hand and pulled her behind me, I had a feeling this would become hostile at any point.

"Actually..." Lucille spoke up, peaking her head around my back. Valentine and myself were the only ones to regard her, Stephen was pacing, soon to wear a hole in the carpet. "My previous Alpha said he'd contact the local one to get me a placement."

"There, problem solved-"
"Not entirely." Stephen added. I grind my teeth in annoyance; I hated being interrupted.
"How", I muttered through gritted teeth.
"My mother doesn't particularly like-"
"I couldn't care less about what your mother has to deal with. Get over it", I groaned in a low, threatening tone. Valentine looked shaken and scared by my tone of voice, whereas Stephen just ignored me.

Lazarus bolted into the room from seemingly nowhere and clung to my leg. I picked her up by her shirt and held her at arms-length as per usual, as though she were a snotty tissue. The Rat squirmed and reached for me in excitement.

"Chaos! Chaos!" she giggled, opening and closing her fists in an attempt to grab me.

"Shut up", I warned; Lazarus shut up. Stephen looked at me in shock of my tone towards the 4 year old. "If your mother has got a problem, she'll have to endure it."