Surviving the Night

"Have you set the explosives?"

"Yes, Miss Chaos." Judith promptly responded. "And collected the files."

"How deep did the bunker go?"

"Just a floor lower than your initial descent, my Lady."

I was getting sick of this 'my lady' nonsense—too many extra words.

"Light it up then." Judith nodded promptly and retook the controls from Juliet.

I turned to face the car with Azrail standing beside me, grasping Primrose's head in his left hand. The right side back door was open, with Lucille laid in the back seats, sleeping soundly. Marma sat with Lucille's head in her lap, her eyes closed in concentration and a hand hovering over her breast.

Settling my eyes on her condition again made my blood run cold. The best way I could control myself was to detach myself from the problem.

"Marma. What is the situation?" I asked coldly. The elderly witch flinched at my sudden voice but did not open her eyes. I noticed the sweat gather at her brow and upper lip.

"It's... futile." The witch reopened her eyes and looked back at me with a hopeless dullness in her gaze.

I felt as if my heart had stopped beating. My lungs burned as if I wasn't breathing, but I didn't dare let it show. Honestly, I felt sick again.

The explosives sounded behind me, rattling the ground and dizzying my already disoriented state. Azrail held me still, but I didn't register his touch; I didn't have it in me to feel anything at all, I think. Instead, my body felt numb and cold.

Once the rumbling had stopped, I stood up properly and shrugged the vampire off. I approached the car, stumbling with spasms in my legs I could barely feel. I repositioned Lucille in the back seat and dragged the witch out of the vehicle.

"Ow! What do you think you're doing? Let go!"

I tossed her on the ground and stole the keys from Azrail.

You think you're free? You think... you're... free...?
Primrose's dismembered voice rang in my head. I turned to look at her only to see her eyes were shut.

Kill her... kill her, Project... Victoria, kill... Demon... kill...

I hopped into the driver's seat, locked the doors, and peeled out of the forest clearing, navigating the treeline unconsciously.

It's... Futile?

**** AZRAIL"S POV****

"Artemis, where is Chaos?" I demanded. The young girl looked frightened but responded immediately to my request.

"She's locked herself in her lab with Miss Lucille. I haven't been able to reach her since she arrived 10 minutes ago-"

"She hasn't told you anything?"

I climbed the stairs as the other coven members woke from their daytime slumber. They behaved like the cursed in that sense. I wondered how she took care of them in the bunker but didn't give it another thought after the explosives.

"No, My Lord." Artemis followed me, Juliet close behind and took her shoulder lovingly. She was still as deathly calm.

"You're dismissed."

Artemis looked on with worry and was ushered away by her mother, Judith, silently.

"Sire? What's got you so uptight?" Damien asked. He had probably woken up with his usual workout routine. He approached me in a tank top and shorts with a towel wrapped around his shoulders. Behind him, Lukas also was dressed in workout attire.