Core Opposites

Lucille tossed a massive trunk along the steep ravine, making a makeshift bridge. I listened carefully to the half frozen stream below us, slowly flowing east. I sat along the edge with my feet swing over, staring blankly into the darkness of that perilous edge. It came to me how often I did that- staring into space- not really dedicated to a single thought; Just existing. In truth, I was tuning into the sounds of nature; The howling wind and the frightful critters; The crunching of snow and leaves beneath my feet; The creaking of wood as if someone were carefully treading atop its dry skin.

I shook my head to break myself out of that trance, looking up to see Lucille cautiously crossing the trunk. It groaned dangerously in certain parts but didn't give away just as she stepped on the other side. She was wrapped in a large blue parka that went to her knees and black tights. Lucille wobbled clumsily as her tall winter boots sunk into the crystal powder. She then looked back to me and gestured it was safe for me to cross.

I wasn't nearly as cautious.
I stumbled and jumped merely for the exhilaration of what felt like tight roping above a crowd of spectators. This was what life was, wasn't it? Is this a taste of freedom?

Could it come to an end if this trunk gave away? I felt as though the darkness was below me and I could playfully escape its grasp with a reckless stride. I wasn't powerless anymore- I would never allow myself to be taken again.

I could hear Lucille curse obscenities several times, even so far as to try to climb across and pull me to her. She couldn't though, knowing how dangerous it'd be for both of us to be on the log.

Surely she must understand what this feels like? The last time I'd ever been outside was-

"CHAOS", she screeched.
I managed to slip into a split, straddling the log between my legs and sat there staring at her absentmindedly. What was I thinking again?

Soon enough I got close to the other end. I mockingly held my arms out to my sides like a performer when I felt a firm pull on my left arm, yanking me to the landing. I stumbled and fell against Lucille, coming face to face with the green eye'd beauty.

I knew she couldn't stay mad at me, this was my first hazardous parlour trick, and it wouldn't be my last: Playing hop-scotch on thin ice and skipping rocks into a bear's cave. You name it.

All of which I was pulled away from briskly by Lucille.

Her eyes were blown open in alarm, her breath in short pants fogging the air between us. She silently fumed and held tightly onto my wrist as she pulled me along our initial route.

"We're soon there", She huffed. Her back was to me as she said it, trudging the deep snow and pulling me behind her.

We didn't speak a lot, but I learned some things about her. When the sun was 2 hrs to rise, Lucille would sniff the air and run a perimeter before returning with some dead bunnies for me to feed on. She saved one for herself to eat but always left the head to bury with the rest of the drained carcasses beneath the fire she made for herself.

She was a were-animal, of that much I knew, and her warm but intimidating build made me think that she might be a bear. A carnivorous predator definitely... Fox? Wolf? Tiger? She couldn't be reptilian, not in this weather, so the only choice was either a bird or mammal. Judging by the lodging and clothing prepared, she was more likely a were-mammal.

Lucille caught on quickly when she realized the cold didn't bother me, but offered her jacket anyways. I wasn't wearing any heavy attire, merely shorts and a white t-shirt . All of which are Lucille's of course. They felt comfortable and smelled like her.

She seemed kind enough to me, though a but foolish at times with her superficialities. She cared more for the intention of the action than the action itself; The complete opposite of me.