What to Look for in a New Place

September 23

Prime Minister's Office, Tokyo, Japan

On September 4, 2025, two days after Japan's national soccer team was selected to participate in the 2026 World Cup in Canada and the entire country was immersed in the aftermath, Japan suddenly disappeared and moved to another world. The government had been trying to control the unrest and mayhem by asking the Japanese people to act calmly and go about their daily lives as usual through the Emperor's "Jewel Voice" broadcast, but the government had finally reached its limit, triggered by riots by foreign residents who had lost their homes and were in despair. In the midst of such chaos and confusion, 19 days after the "transference", the first government announcement after the transference was broadcasted live nationwide on TV and radio.

And now, reporters and news crews from various newspapers and media are gathered in the press conference room on the first floor of the Prime Minister's official residence. Their eyes were fixed on the podium, where no one was standing yet. At the back of the stage, on the upper side of the stage from the reporters' point of view, the chief executive of the country, the Prime Minister, was waiting for the press conference to start.

"...Prime Minister, it's time."

"Okay."

After being told by his aide that the press conference was about to begin, the Prime Minister finally appeared in front of the reporters. A number of dazzling flashing lights were directed at his body.

"This is a government announcement by Kojiro Izumikawa, the 105th Prime Minister of Japan."

A woman's voice announced in the press conference room. The Prime Minister stood in front of the podium in the center of the room and put his mouth close to the many microphones that had been set up. The entire nation was glued to their TVs and radios, listening with bated breath to the live broadcast of the press conference.

"It's been 19 days since the natural disaster. I know that many of you are pessimistic, anticipating the depletion of resources and food."

"Prime Minister! Is it true that this country has been moved to another world!?"

"I have a theory that it might be a government conspiracy!"

"What are the prospects for power and food supplies!?"

Following the Prime Minister's statement, the reporters asked questions one after another.

"Certainly... certainly! This is so far-fetched that many of you may find it hard to believe it. But the reality is that the Eurasian continent, which was supposed to be west of the Japanese archipelago, has disappeared. But don't despair!"

Cutting through the voices of the reporters, Izumikawa continued to speak. The entire country buzzed at these words from the youngest prime minister since World War II.

"As a result of our patrol aircraft and fighter jets' search of the surrounding waters over the past few days, we have discovered a large island with civilization to the northwest of Japan. According to several surveys, the entire island seems to be a fertile granary. We will be sending a delegation to the nations on this island to negotiate the opening of diplomatic relations for the importation of food."

He continued.

"We have also discovered an archipelago further south of Okinawa which, unlike the one I mentioned before, has been confirmed to be uninhabited. The Japanese government declared the islands to be uninhabited and named them the 'Mugen Islands' and established a garrison there six days ago. A joint public-private resource survey team will be dispatched two days later. We are also urgently seeking pioneers to lend a hand in the construction of a huge plantation there! According to the results of a simple inspection, the bacterial environment and vegetation of the Mugen Islands are almost identical to the Southeast Asian region of our original world. Detailed eligibility requirements will be announced later, but I'm sure there are many people who have lost their jobs due to the recent transference. If you are one of them, please apply!"