The Great Escape

Palace Square, Lithianburg

A loud commotion could be heard coming from the Imperial Palace. The commoners, who had been observing the coronation ceremony from outside the palace walls, sensed an unusual presence inside. Immediately thereafter, three guards came out from inside the palace. The people crowded around them.

"Hey, what happened at the coronation ceremony!?"

"Tell us!"

The guardsmen simply told them to back off and stood in front of the bulletin board in the center of the square, where they removed the paper where the government had previously posted a notice about the simultaneous strange deaths of the members of the imperial family. They then pasted a new government paper. People rushed to the bulletin board, jumping at the news from the government.

"I can't read very well, tell me what it says!"

One of the commoners present asked the crowd. In response, another commoner read the headline with a look of shock on his face.

"...It says that the new emperor has declared war against Japan!"

The man's words caused an uproar all around.

"No way! Why!?"

"It says that the deaths of the late emperor's family were caused by a group of Japanese healers..."

"Oh no... those people... impossible!"

"No, I knew it was that infidels are not to be trusted!"

In addition to anger, a different kind of emotion prevailed among the commoners, many of whom were already under the care of Red Cross Hospital, compared to the nobles. They were upset and bewildered. It is hard to believe that the Japanese doctors, who had been getting along so well with them, would commit such a heinous act, but the government said that they did. Maybe pagans are not to be believed after all... or is the government's statement false?

One pair of mother and child watched from the margins as such a tumult of emotions swirled around them. The child holding hands turned to her mother and asked with dull eyes.

"Mommy, did those white healers kill the emperor?"

"Everyone says so..."

"But they were so nice and didn't seem like bad people, you know?"

"...!"

The child's innocent words pierced the mother's heart. Mother and child simply gazed at the chaos of the palace square.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Margraviate of Zittold in the southern part of the empire

Margrave's Residence, Capital Zittold

The Margraviate of Zittold is one of the 18 regions that make up the Crossnellyard Empire. In an office in a corner of the house of Foreimen, the family that governs the region, was the head of state, Lochfell Foreimen.

"...The government of the Imperial Domain has officially declared war against Japan."

As Lochfell looked out the window, Fulmathi Glomerieu, Commander of the Zittold Army, delivered the news from the diplomatic mission in the capital.

"... I know. I just received word from Rant just now."

Lochfell stated that he has already received direct news from his representative who was present at the funeral and coronation ceremony.

"...Do you believe it? That Japan assassinated His Majesty the Emperor?"

"...!"

Fulmathi was a bit surprised at the too direct question thrown by Lochfell, but he opened his mouth, choosing his words with his eyes going from side to side.