Intermission | Recipe from the Heart - Navy Curry!

January 22, 2027 (Friday)

Oga Bridge, sea east of the Annan Continent

On this day, after completing the evaluation of the Leviathan's strength, a huge ship was sailing along the coast of the Annan Continent to return from the Homunculus Kingdom to the port city of Kourbossa in the Elmstacia Empire. On the bridge of the Oga, the second of the Shimabara-class amphibious assault ship, a man can be seen. His name is Yoshiki Ando, the Captain of the ship.

"...Haaah."

On the way back to Kourbossa, Captain Ando sighed loudly with a gloomy face. But he is not the only one with that look. Looking around, all the personnel on duty on the bridge had gloomy expressions.

'...Two Seahawks, one medium damage and one heavy damage. What am I supposed to report to my superiors?'

He sighed loudly again. The reason why their expressions are like that was because of the Leviathan's strength assessment conducted yesterday off the coast of the Homunculus Kingdom. This was done as a prelude to the Leviathan Subjugation Operation, which was to take place later, and as the name implies, was intended to gauge the capabilities of the monster. Therefore, it was not intended to be a battle at first, but the Leviathan showed abilities beyond expectations, and they had no choice but to fight back. As a result, two SH-60K Seahawks were severely damaged and three personnel were injured. These facts deeply etched the word of 'defeat' in the minds of the Oga's crewmen. That is why their moods were so depressed.

"...Don't look so gloomy."

The chief navigator, Commander Yoko Sonobe, tried to lighten the mood by talking to Ando. She then broaches another subject.

"Today is Friday, the day of that thing that everyone is looking forward to. If your stomach is full, you will feel a little better."

"...!"

'Oh yeah! Today is Navy Curry Day!'

A ray of light shone in Ando's heart. His steps and mind became lighter as he headed for the officer's quarters to eat his meal.

'Navy Curry' is a tradition of the Maritime Self-Defense Force that dates back to the days of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Originally, curry was served on Saturdays to ensure the nutrition of the crew and to regain the sense of the days of the week lost during long voyages. Each ship holds a competition for the best flavor, and each ship's flavor and recipe are the "pride" of the ship's crew.

The naval curry of the Oga is different from that of other escort ships. The naval curry of the Oga is based on a recipe from the Reference Book of Naval Cooking Technique, and is a reproduction of the old IJN's naval curry made from curry powder without using a roux, with some original additions.

Oga Crew Mess Hall

The members of the navigation department disembark from the bridge for lunch and sit down on chairs at a table. The hungry crew were presented with Oga's special curry, which was poured over a bed of white rice and emitted a delicious aroma.

"Itadakimasu!"

Voices echoed through the cafeteria. Immediately afterward, the crew picked up their spoons and devoured the curry in front of them.

"...It's so delicious!"

The crew members were tantalized by the taste of the naval curry, the pride of the ship they were aboard. The aroma and taste of curry permeated their tired minds and bodies.

"The Oga's curry is the best, in my opinion, although there is a bit of family favoritism."

"I agree! I think the fact that it's an original curry without any roux is a big part of it."