Farewell, Far North!

This is the final chapter of Part 3.

After this, we will move on to Volume 3: The Holy War of the Other World, with a few short stories.

- Bokutotsu Zen'u

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geral's Hut, Underground Cavern

Geral listened to the replies from the spirits. A short time later, she announces the results of the search as communicated by each spirit.

"...They are not there. No one in the volcanic area."

"...!?"

Murata is shocked to hear Geral's words. If they are not in the volcanic area, it is most likely that they have already returned to Papanikolau Village.

"T-then! Please explore a straight route from the volcanoes to the Papanikolau Village in the Cattleya Branch of the Lebameno Federation!"

"A-alright!"

After receiving Murata's pleas, Geral sends the spirits flying in the direction he told them to go.

'Please! I ain't dead yet!'

Murata simply prayed that the survey team would be found. Perhaps they do not believe that he is alive in the slightest. Therefore, if they left him there, he would have to spend the rest of his life in this cavern until the gold mining team arrived. As Murata crossed his fingers together in prayer, Geral exclaimed.

"...Found it!"

"!"

Murata smiled with relief.

"They're already trying to leave the undeveloped area... there's no choice, then!"

Geral said, and suddenly left the hut.

"You too! Let's go!"

"?"

Geral asked Murata to leave the hut as well. He does as Geral asks and leaves the hut where he spent two days.

Underground cavern just below the crevasse

Murata, who was standing just below the crevasse that had fallen into the cavern as a cold wind blew across it, asked her what she was about to do.

"Err, what is this...?"

"...I'll have them carry you back to your people!"

As Geral spoke, she held up her right hand toward the sky. Then, balls of light, or swarms of spirits, appeared out of nowhere in unparalleled numbers and clung to her right arm.

"It is 414 leagues (290 kilometers) almost due south of here! We are on our way to the Papanikolau Village, to his friends!"

With a shout, Geral turns her right hand toward Murata. Then a swarm of spirits that had been clinging to her right arm leapt toward Murata.

"Aaaah!"

Murata involuntarily screamed. But at the same time, he notices a change.

"!?"

His body, supported by the swarm of spirits, was flying toward the surface. Looking down, he could see Geral's figure gradually becoming smaller and smaller.

"...Geral-san! Thank you very much! I will never forget you!"

As she grew distant, Murata said goodbye to her in a voice loud enough to echo through the cavernous space.

"Me too! It's been fun, thank you!"

Geral also said goodbye in a voice as loud as Murata's. Soon after, Murata's body passed through the same hole it had fallen through when he fell into the cavern, and his figure disappeared.