Doctor's Daily Life - Special Karte 2

One day in July 2018

Yokosuka City Park Cemetery

On Thursday, while enjoying his compensatory holiday, Shibata was visiting Yuikawa's apartment, where she had been absent without permission on his senior's orders. However, no one was in the room where she was supposed to be living, and he was at a loss. A neighbor of Yuikawa's, who had seen her, told her that she often went to the cemetery. And now he was visiting the Yokosuka City Park Cemetery, which is located away from the Yokosuka city center. It was extremely difficult to find one specific woman in this cemetery, which also functions as a park and boasts a vast area.

"...Gah! It's scorching!"

He complained about the bright sunlight, the sweat pouring out of his neck, and the heat that was gradually baking him. He wondered if he needed to go to such lengths for just one day of absent without leave. With such doubts in mind, Shibata walked around the vast park cemetery.

"...Ah!"

An hour after the start of the walk, Shibata exclaimed in surprise. At last, he found a person he thought to be Yuikawa. It was the back figure of a woman sitting in front of a certain grave. Shibata approached her from behind as she stared at the gravestone and tried to speak to her.

"...?"

At that moment, he noticed something strange. The surname carved on the gravestone was different from that of Yuikawa. He approached the woman more closely, wondering if he had mistaken her for someone else.

"...!"

After getting some distance, Shibata was convinced that the woman was definitely Yuikawa, and called out to her, who was still staring at the gravestone.

"...Hey."

"!"

Yuikawa jolted, seemingly startled by the voice from behind her. However, she did not look back at him.

"I heard you went absent, that's unusual. The hospital is in a bit of a panic. I thought you wrapped a rope around your neck."

"........."

Shibata told her that her absence has many people worried. But she gave no answer.

"I heard you didn't even take bereavement leave. That's a bit heartless, don't you think...?"

Shibata complained that she had not applied to the hospital for even a bereavement leave, which would normally be taken in the case of a family member's misfortune. She did not explain this to the hospital staff, which further spread the perception of "she is a heartless person" among them. Shibata was the one who had such a perception of Yuikawa.

"...My grandfather's funeral was a family affair, held on a holiday. He wanted to die without causing trouble to others... that was his last will and testament. And now he is laid to rest here."

"!"

Yuikawa kept her back to him and answered in a whisper. Shibata was a bit surprised that she suddenly spoke, as she had never responded to anything he said before.

"........."

Silence took over the place. Before long, the sun was hidden by clouds and a cool breeze was blowing all around. While Shibata was struggling for words, Yuikawa opened her mouth again.

"My parents... they died when I was very young, and I was raised by my maternal grandparents instead. My grandparents... especially my grandfather, worked hard to provide for me, even though he was old and strict, and made sure I had a good life. And when I turned eighteen and decided to go into the medical profession, my grandfather told me that if I choose to save lives, no matter what happens to him, I must carry on with my mission."