First Defeat

From this chapter, it will be quite fictional.

- Bokutotsu Zen'u

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hatayama's SH-60K Seahawk

The Leviathan, which had survived the Hellfire attack, was visible from inside the Seahawk piloted by Lieutenant Hatayama.

"Are we going to attack!?"

"No, there's nothing more we can do! We are going back no matter what!"

To the question posed by airman Yatsuyanagi, Hatayama as the primary pilot replied in a rather loud voice. It was indeed surprising that the Hellfire attack had not worked, but the two Seahawks were already flying 200 meters above the ground. As long as they were flying at twice the altitude of the Leviathan's highest jump, the Leviathan should no longer be able to attack them no matter how hard they tried.

SKREEE...

At that moment, a strange sound echoed over the sea. When Yatsuyanagi looked to the rear, the source of the sound, he saw the Leviathan turning toward them in the sky and opening its mouth.

"W-what is that thing doing...!? N-no way!"

Seeing the monster behaving mysteriously, Yatsuyanagi was dumbfounded. He then pondered the possibility based on the Leviathan's behavior, and advised Hatayama, who cannot see the Leviathan in the rear, to change his weary mind.

"Quick! Get away from here ASAP!"

"!? Why!? What's happened!?"

Unable to read the situation, Hatayama demanded what is happening now.

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

A red light came from behind the Seahawk as the sound that echoed across the sea seemed to grow louder. It was emanating from the Leviathan's mouth.

"It's probably... a laser!"

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

At the same time as Yatsuyanagi's words, a sound effect like something you would hear in a sci-fi anime rang out, and then a crimson flame formed into a huge ray of light and attached the Seahawk.

"...BREAK!!"

Hatayama, who sensed the situation, immediately slammed the control stick. Hiramoto's Seahawk, which was flying alongside them, also tilted its fuselage in the opposite direction. A moment later, flames grazed the sides of the two helicopters, and the launched flames flew into the sky.

"The radar is knocked out!"

"!!"

Hatayama and his co-pilot, Ensign Haruki Kajiwara, were shocked to hear Yatsuyanagi's words. The Leviathan's long-range flame beam had melted down part of the Seahawk's fuselage and external equipment.

"Hiramoto! Is Hiramoto alright!?"

Hatayama inquired about the safety of Hiramoto's Seahawk, which was flying alongside to the right of his helicopter.

"O-over there, on the right!"

From the captain's seat, Hatayama turned in the same direction as told by Yatsuyanagi. There, he saw the Seahawk losing control and falling toward the sea. Upon closer inspection, the main rotor is visibly deformed. The rotor blades were probably melted by the heat from the flames that had just hit them. The deformation of the rotors prevented normal flight, and Hiramoto's Seahawk soon fell to the sea surface.