Stormy Night

Turning back the clock a little, on October 27, Kojima, dispatched from Yokosuka, Japan, finally arrived in Miket Tirith that day.

Miket Tirith is a huge port city located on the eastern coastline of the Crossnellyard Empire, and is the capital of the Miket Knighthood, the only one of the seven knighthood territories that faces the sea. The 'Knight Commander' is a special class of people who govern the territory of the Miket Knighthood, and the current head of the Knighthood is a man named Harrimans Integument. This city has long served as the eastern gateway to the Crossnellyard Empire, mainly engaged in maritime trade with countries in the east, such as the Shorteria-San Empire and the Altian Empire.

Two years ago in September, the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and the Crossnellyard Empire, which had been a long-cherished dream of the merchants of this country and of Japanese merchants, was achieved, allowing Japanese merchants and companies to enter and open stores in this country as well.

As a temporary measure until private trading ships such as container ships could use the port, the Japanese government had sent out Shimabara-class amphibious assault ships, which had the capacity to lift goods and personnel to the coast where the water depth was insufficient, as "trading ships" to replace the merchant ships, but even after the completion of the bay construction work, the Shimabara-class, which had the capability of landing goods and personnel on the coast, was still used as an alternative to trading vessels. Many Japanese companies, concerned about the shortage of private-sector trading vessels, requested that it be kept alive, and so they were sent out once a month.

For the merchants in Crossnellyard, the arrival of Japanese trading ships, including these warships, is a major event that they have all been waiting for. Tough clothing that would not tear at the slightest tug, books containing Japanese knowledge coveted by countries around the world, soaps and cosmetics that improved skin tone and luster, excellent medicines, and especially inexpensive, strong plastic products that sold well regardless of status for their convenience, ease of use, and durability. These products were selling like hotcakes.

Three days after the Kojima's arrival, additional medicines, including anti-AIDS drugs, and supplies of gasoline and diesel fuel to run the generator were finally delivered to the Lithianburg Red Cross Hospital and the Japanese embassy there. At the same time, 10 Ground Self-Defense Force personnel, who had been dispatched to escort the AIDS survey team in the Margraviate of Seannut, arrived in the area on a Type 73 heavy truck. The doctors working in the area welcomed them with open arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 31, early morning

Lithianburg Red Cross Hospital

Three trucks carrying supplies were parked on the hospital grounds after disembarking from Kojima. In front of the trucks, there was a group of 15 people standing with their luggage, preparing to go on a long trip. The "Northern AIDS Investigation Team," led by general internist Shiro Kanzaki, was on its way to Larmark, the northernmost port city in the country with 10 GSDF members to investigate the actual state of AIDS, which is endemic in the northern territory of Seannut. The staff members from the hospital, which had not even opened yet, showed up one after another to see them off. Naturally, Shibata, Tahara, and Director Nagaoka were among them.

"Take care...! Just don't do anything rash."

Director Shizune Nagaoka was concerned for the safety of the research team as they traveled 3.000 kilometers away to the location. It was only natural. They would be traveling on a continent with only medieval-level security and transportation routes. It would be no small feat to wait for them.