Battle of Mesto 1

February 14, Evening

Near the village of Bran, Imperial Domain

On the second day after the start of the march, the Juperia Continent Dispatch Force had passed the border between the territory of the Miket Knighthood and that of the Imperial Domain. Having passed through one of the villages, they were proceeding through a seemingly peaceful plain. However, disturbing figures were watching them from a grassy meadow, as they were unfurling a grand procession of 222 vehicles.

'Are we going to launch a surprise attack on that huge force!?'

'We can't just let them head for the capital city like this! Engage them with the resolve to give your lives!'

'No way...!'

Three soldiers, consisting of one superior officer and two subordinates, were watching the march of the Japanese troops with their guns at the ready. The distance between them and the road on which the dispatched troops were advancing was about 700 meters, and the three soldiers probably had no idea that they had been spotted. However, their movements were being detected by drones flying overhead, and one Type 96 self-propelled 120 mm mortar, under the order of Major General Takizawa, who was checking the drone's images from inside the Type 82 command vehicle, broke off from the advancing column, stopped on the shoulder, and began to turn its gun toward their position.

"We know there are three of you lurking there! If you don't drop your weapons and surrender within twenty seconds, we'll open fire with mortars! Twenty, nineteen, eighteen..."

'!?'

The three soldiers looked at each other with shocked expressions as they are suddenly warned to surrender and the countdown of their lives suddenly begins.

'How did they find us!? We're a league (0,7 km) away!?'

The superior officer can't hide his surprise that they had been discovered before he knew it.

'And... let's surrender! I hear that the Japanese army never treats prisoners with cruelty!'

'Bah... how can we do such a thing!?'

The superior officer scolded his subordinate, who is upset and insisted on surrendering. However, his face was also covered with a large amount of cold sweat. Meanwhile, the countdown continues, finally reaching 10 seconds remaining.

"Nine, eight, seven, six five four three two one! FIRE!"

"Eh! Wait a minute...!"

The countdown suddenly sped up, and the superior officer blurted. But it is already too late, and a mortar round is fired from the Type 96 self-propelled 120 mm mortar.

"AAAAGH!"

The sound of the shell echoed across the grassy field, and the three soldiers quickly bend down. The shell passed over the three men's heads, landed about 220 meters behind them, and exploded. Around the point of impact, the grass had been knocked down like a crater, and the ground was scorched. Seeing this, a chill went down the three soldiers' spine.

"Next time we won't miss... This is your last chance, come out within ten seconds!"

A voice announcing the ultimatum rang out. Peering through the bushes, the Type 96 self-propelled 120 mm mortar could be seen pointing toward them.

'Captain...!'

'...Alright.'

One of his subordinates pleaded with a feeble voice and tear-stained eyes to surrender. The superior officer, who had been shamelessly exposed in front of two of his men, had already lost the will to resist. The three men then emerged from the bushes, threw away their guns and swords, and approached the Type 96 mortar with their hands raised. The SDF, wary of a suicide attack from the three who surrendered, conducted a physical examination of them at a location away from the street and found one belief shell, two daggers, and one cooking knife among their possessions.