Watanami Garrison

October 6

Sea far away from the Japanese archipelago

Thunderclouds covered the sky, and the rainwater-absorbed ocean swells and rages. In the midst of a huge storm, a sailing ship was being rocked by high waves.

"Fold up the sails now! It's going to tear!"

The captain barked, and the sailors tried to climb up the main mast. However, the wind and rain beat down on them as they climbed the mast, and they were forced to hold on to the shrouds and yards for dear life. The sails were puffed up from the excessively strong tailwind.

Shreak!

As they did so, they heard a sound like cloth tearing. He looked up to see a large tear in the mainsail.

"The mainsail! Oh no!"

The captain's face paled as he looked at the torn sail. And then...

"AAAAAAAAH!!"

The ship, which had lost its ability to navigate, was hit by a huge side wave. The ship overturned and the sailors who were working on the masts were thrown into the sea. The screams of the sailors were drowned out by the thunderous noise, and pieces of wood and debris were floating where the ship had been.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 7

Watanami Garrison, Northern Island of Mugen Islands, Japanese Government Special Territory

About 600 kilometers further south-southwest of Okinawa Island lies the "Mugen Islands," the first territory the Japanese government has incorporated into this world. The SDF discovered the islands 20 days ago, and a new garrison has been established there, where a joint public-private resource survey team has been dispatched.

Off the coast, the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)'s deep-earth exploration vessel Chikyū has begun test mining of submarine oil fields, while guano deposits are being investigated on the beach. On the plains facing the coast, the SDF had constructed a number of temporary housing units, ready to receive the settlers who were scheduled to land about a month later.

On this day, as usual, the surveyors and SDF personnel who had completed their survey activities were dragging their dirt-covered bodies back to their quarters. The Mugen Islands consist of four large islands and other islands of various sizes, and resource survey teams are scattered throughout the islands, investigating the geology and reserves of resources.

'Although it is still in the exploratory stage, the guano deposits are expected to be mined in substantial quantities. It was as if no human hands had ever touched it.'

Murata, who was dispatched from a private company, walked along the sandy beach facing the dormitory, looking at the documents containing the results of his investigation. The guano deposit he had been investigating today was a deposit of seabird droppings that could be mined for phosphorus, an essential ingredient in agricultural fertilizer.

'Tomorrow, we'll have to go to the nonferrous metal exploration site...'

Murata was thinking about what to investigate tomorrow and beyond. Looking at the western horizon, the bright red sunset was already halfway down.

'So the sun in this world also rise in the east and set in the west?'

Murata felt a slight sense of nostalgia as he watched the brilliantly beautiful sunset. He gazed at the stunning sunset for a few moments. After a few minutes, he was satisfied with the sunset and was about to return to his dormitory when he noticed a strange object sitting under the setting sun.