(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧) a single apple

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE WAS ON EDGE THAT MORNING, waiting for the silver Volvo to pull into the parking lot. She had a pile of essays sat on the desk in front of her yet she had absolutely no intention of marking them. Her eyes were glued to the students walking into the school.

Their words were all meaningless. Talking about the spring formal which was coming up soon. Forks high school had made it a girls choice which had caused more commotion than usual as all the girls were steadily gossiping about who they were going to ask. It was all a bit tiresome.

The Cullens always arrived the same time, five minutes before they needed to be in school. A lot of students came earlier out of determination to catch up with their friends or do the work they'd supposed to have done a few days prior. The Cullens came exactly when they wanted to be there. Este watched as the silver car darted into her sight, she breathed a sigh of relief.

Este wasn't even sure why, she was fully aware that they'd be arriving just as they always did. Maybe it was the fact that she now knew for definite that Edward was among them. Whether this was going to end up being a positive or negative was yet to be seen. For now he had made it without overthinking himself into the barricades of his attic bedroom.

The five of them climbed out of the car, slamming doors behind them. Students eyes turned as they walked across the car park, just as they always did. The Cullens were a family to draw stares. If it wasn't about their pale skin, elegant beauty or expensive goods they paraded around then it was the simply way they carried themselves. It was as though they were aware of their superiority even if they didn't agree with it.

Este watched just as the students did but for completely different reasons. She stared at Alice's eyes, the girl was definitely running through possibilities of the upcoming day, then she turned to Edward. As she did so, his eyes turned to hers as though she'd tuned into a radio and alerted him to her presence.

She gave him an encouraging smile which he returned before he disappeared from her window and into the steadily crowding school. Este stared down at the papers in front of her, taking another deep breath before she picked up her red pen and started writing.

The day went slower than usual. Este was doing her best to use her heightened hearing ability but it was hard to do so many things at once. To hear what was going on classrooms away and continue teaching the lesson she was absorbed in was almost impossible. She'd catch the words of Hazel or Mr Banner and then she'd lose her own course of action. The students gave her a confused glance as she stopped mid sentence yet again.

"Sorry" Este sighed, "my minds all over the place today"

The students didn't seem to mind too much, Este's distraction gave them an opportunity to talk amongst themselves. Este couldn't even be bothered to stop them from their wavering attention. It wasn't their fault that she was too busy stressing to teach a lesson.