(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞) unhomely living

I'm running out
of gif ideas so
imagine what you want

✧✧✧

IT HAD TAKEN ESTE A LONG TIME TO CALM DOWN. She'd driven for hours until the roads seemed to slip from her vision and she decided it was best to stop before she ended up crashing. After that she'd sat, still as a statue, parked on the edge of a large hill as she watched the sun rise and fall.

Her emotions were tangled and unchangeable. She was angry, scared, upset, guilty. Everything piling inside of her mind as she reread lines of the argument as though pacing over the words in a book. She regretted a lot of words she'd spoken but more than anything she'd regretted ever complaining about Carlisle's calm.

She sat shaken in the front seat of her car with a permanent furrowed brow etched against her skin. In front of the sunset and the pathway of her vision sat Carlisle, a ghostly fragment of her imagination. Illegible words seemed to fly from his mouth as Este watched him curiously.

Este hadn't been aware how much her words would anger him. Usually Carlisle had this essence about him, the ability to calm any situation down, not pour gasoline onto the steady growing fire. Her empty heart seemed to race. Este felt more human than she had done in a very long time as she watched the sky.

She feared what she'd said to him, not just in their argument but throughout the time they'd been together. Had her words been hurting him all that time? That was never what Este had intended, how could it be? Carlisle should know that. Surely he could only agree about the tribulations of the vampire mind. It didn't belittle love, promise or gratitude. Este could appreciate everything good about her life even if she loathed being who she was.

As the sun set over the next day she felt her anger come back to her, collected like a trophy in her mind. She hit her hands on the steering wheel, yelling some words that didn't make sense. The sound of her car horn echoed through trees, sending birds into furious flight. Este cried loudly as she placed her head in her hands.

Why had this all suddenly become an unstoppable storm? Este wondered why she was getting so worked up about Bella becoming like them. That had started all of this, set alight a fuse that she could no longer blow out. From that it had spiralled into questions about her own marriage. She saw Carlisle's face, twisted in anger. Este wished closing her eyes would get the image away but it stained in her mind dripping in red.

Her phone rang sometime into night. The screen read Edward's name. He'd found out what had happened then. Este stared at the coloured screen for a second, the flashing lights and vibrations. She sighed to herself before she picked it up and pressed the device to her ear.

"Este?" Edward sounded worried.

"Yeah?"

"Where are you?"

"I don't know" Este frowned as she looked around. From the looks of it she was somewhere desolate well outside Forks. There were no signs around, no sounds of human life. Este knew she was still in Washington, she hadn't driven too far. She wouldn't find difficulty in tracing her way back home.

"Este come back" Edward spoke clearly, "this is stupid, you and Carlisle never argue"

"Has he said anything?" Este asked lightly.

"No" Edward replied, "he hasn't come back from work"

"What?" Este didn't hide the shock from her voice, "why not? Where is he?"

"He's still there, just sitting in his office. I went to see him before but he just acted as though nothing had happened"

"What about his mind?" Este pondered.