(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭) so long, farewell

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE CAME BACK THE NEXT DAY and by then it had been decided. Boxes littered the entrance to the house, cardboard and dull looking. They spilled out with memories and details of the past. Edward's boxes had all been placed in his Volvo presumably by Emmett. He wouldn't be coming back until the house was cleared.

It was unsure whether this was simply because of the argument that had stemmed between Este and Edward or whether it was because he felt too guilty over what he was doing to face them. Either way Este was glad, she really didn't want to see him. This dislodged from a place of anger and guilt and possibly the fact that she still felt as though she was drowning.

Rosalie and Emmett had cleared off to Seattle at the first opportunity. By the time that Este had returned to the house twelve hours later their room was completely bare. Este stood in the doorway staring at the cold laminate floors and chipped white walls, feeling an invisible lump build in her throat.

She didn't dare go to the attic bedroom.

No one had come to see her when she arrived back which alerted her to the idea that Carlisle was either angry at her or he wasn't at home. It turned out to be the second. Jasper and Alice weren't there either but their room was only half packed which meant they must be coming back.

Este knew it would be up to her to sort out the school. To quit her job and pull the kids out of their final year. It wouldn't be easy. Emotionally anyway. Este didn't know where they were going now but she knew it would be near impossible to fall into the perfect routine she'd picked up in Forks, to find a place so amazing for them.

There seemed to be a race in getting out of town as soon as possible. Morning would break in a couple of hours and she supposed there was the risk of running into Bella. It seemed cruel to pack up without a trace. As though everything perfect had been an image inside the girls head. It wasn't fair.

She found herself in her own room. The study opposite was nearly done, crowded with boxes of books and art. Este knew that Vampires worked ten times as fast as humans but it was still odd for the house to be turned upside down in the time she'd been away. Este hadn't even been given a real chance to get her head around things.

A skeleton of a bed sat before her, everything else from the extensive amount of clothes to the small trinkets that littered their lives had been neatly placed in another dozen boxes. Este worked in moving hers into her forest green car. The Jeep and Red convertible were gone, Este wasn't sure why this upset her so much.

Este packed her car until the trunk was overflowing with books. The Cullens had too many books. Carlisle's Mercedes was gone, presumably full with the rest of the boxes. After Este had placed nearly all the remaining boxes from her room, the study and the living room into Ferrari, she finished packing Alice and Jasper's things, lifting everything very carefully into the car. She was grateful that Carlisle had evidently taken the majority of the load.