(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) sorting it out

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

IT WAS THE THREE UNKNOWN VAMPIRES again but Este hadn't needed telling. She'd already known from the moment the words 'animal attack' had been spoken into the open. Carlisle had returned slightly more than an hour later. The sky had darkened by then but the rain had cooled off.

To Este's surprise, Edward had arrived back with him. His face was grave, carved in calculations. He nodded a quick greeting to Este before he disappeared upstairs without saying a word.

Carlisle seemed tired. He'd explained what had happened. Many of the police were in uproar over it all. Waylon was popular within the town. In Forks, everyone seemed to know everyone. That was the thing about small towns. It meant that every time someone new arrived it was blown out of proportion. It also meant that when tragedy struck, it seemed all the more horrible.

Charlie Swan, one of Waylon's closest friends, was very cut up about it all. That's why he'd been angered enough to ask for a second opinion. Obviously thinking the idea that Waylon was simply killed by an animal was ridiculous. Carlisle knew that he was right. It wasn't an animal who had killed Waylon but Carlisle wasn't about to tell them what it actually was, they would've have believed him regardless.

"Did he say anything to you?" Este murmured as her and Carlisle found themselves in the living room by the empty fire grate.

"Edward?" Carlisle asked even though he already knew, "no he didn't. But he was with Bella when he showed up. She went home with her dad"

"With her?" Este frowned, "I thought he was just following her around Port Angeles to make sure she was safe, I wasn't aware that he was going there with her"

"I don't think he was under that impression either" Carlisle shrugged warily, "I don't know what happened, she didn't say anything to me about it, why would she? I only spoke to her for a moment, told her to go see Charlie. She seemed a bit too questioning about what had happened"

"Course she did" Este laughed, "she's too curious for her own good"

As Este spoke, the living room door was pushed open. She turned to see Edward stood there. His face didn't show any sign that he'd heard their conversation even though Este knew for a fact that he had. Edward didn't say anything about the comments of Bella or Port Angeles. He instead looked directly at Carlisle.

"Can I talk to you?"

Carlisle nodded, looking in a confused manner towards Este before he stood up and followed Edward out the room. Este raised her eyebrows as the door shut and they disappeared upstairs to Carlisle's office where Este wouldn't be able to hear them. She felt rather annoyed about this. Of course Carlisle was the person to go to when a problem arose but Este didn't see the need to be so secretive about it.

She sat with her arms folded, legs stretched out in front of her as she stared at the ceiling. They were talking quietly. Este could hear murmurs but she couldn't make out what any of them might mean. She looked to the clock and wondered whether Alice and Jasper would be back soon. She fancied a game of chess. Rose and Emmett wouldn't be back until tomorrow but the other two were only out for the day.