(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞) a burden

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

EDWARD DIDN'T CALL AGAIN UNTIL LATE February. This time was different but not in the way he spoke nor in the context of the call. It was different because all of the six remaining Cullen's had been sat in Alice and Jasper's upstairs apartment.

Alice had been sitting with Rose talking her through her fashion portfolio, Emmett had the football turned on, Jasper and Este were playing chess while Carlisle read his book peacefully in the corner. It was the first moment where the family had felt they were getting back to how they had been. Of course they were missing the sounds of piano drifting throughout the room.

When Carlisle's phone had rang, no one thought much of it. He often got calls from work regarding shifts, holidays or general questions. Este had been moving her rook when Carlisle picked up the phone.

"Edward?"

Everyone stopped what they were doing immediately. Emmett jumped up, Alice dropped her portfolio and Rose moved so fast that she scattered the chess board over the floor causing Jasper to swear loudly.

"You're not alone" Edward's voice came from the other side of the call.

"We're all here" Carlisle answered.

"Give me the phone!" Rosalie snapped, "I want to talk to him! Give me the phone!"

"I'll call you another time" Edward spoke.

"No" Carlisle replied very sternly, "Edward don't hang up, Rose I'm not giving you the phone. Sit back down"

Rosalie scoffed angrily before she sat on the sofa next to Alice again. All eyes were on Carlisle now as he placed his book carefully down on the coffee table next to him.

"Edward?"

"Yeah I'm here"

"Where are you calling from?" Carlisle asked curiously.

"Brazil... I'm in Rio"

"Well at least someone's managing to have a good time through all this!" Rosalie yelled, "this is bullshit, you hear me Edward! You can't hide forever, I will find you—"

"I'm sorry" Edward spoke. Carlisle didn't need to place the phone in speaker for them to hear him. His voice was loud to their heightened hearing. It cut through the room like a knife.

"Good" Rose said bitterly.

"Edward when are you coming home?" Carlisle asked, "we all miss you, even Rosalie"

"Don't know where you got that idea" Rose rolled her eyes.

"I'm not... coming home I mean"

"Edward come on" Emmett called loudly, "don't be such an annoying git. Look we're not saying you have to come back right away, enjoy your little holiday but seriously you can't stay away forever"