(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱) cold comfort

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

THE TENSE ATTITUDE DIDN'T EXACLY CHANGE in the house over the next week. Everyone tried to get on as usual but there was the overhanging worry that Edward was going to continue to make a big deal out of everything.

He was doing a good job at avoiding everyone. Este became aware that he barely stepped foot in the house as the days wore on and when he did decide to return he'd hide away in his bedroom.

Edward also wasn't attending school but this had been a decision made between the entire family. It wasn't Edward who didn't want to go, it was Jasper. He didn't feel he was ready to go back and be surrounded by so many people when he was still shaken up over what had happened to Bella. Alice tried to assure him that he wouldn't break or snap like he had done but Jasper didn't want to take any risks.

Therefore, to avoid the unwanted questions and confusions about Jasper's absence, all three of the Cullen children who remained in school would be taking a week off. Este forged the excuse in the other teachers minds about them visiting Rosalie and Emmett in Seattle for a week.

Rose and Emmett came home every couple of days regardless but as far as the rest of the town knew, they were happily living up in the larger cities away from Forks and it's quaintness. The excuse went down pretty well which left Este walking the halls of the school as the only vampire, she couldn't recall there being a time like this before.

She supposed that the following year this would be her constant position. Edward, Alice and Jasper were supposed to be graduating at the end of the year. Este had never been a teacher without her children. She knew it would be fine, she didn't rely on them. Yet even in the week that they were away, it was strange to feel the empty silence where they usually remained.

Despite this idea, Este would never give up the occupation she'd created for herself. The comfort it brought her was entirely necessary in her new life. She needed the distraction and the normality. It had dragged her further away from the idea of monsters and brought her to the realisation towards why Carlisle loved his job so much.

Even without the reasoning of being closer to her kids, teaching was still something she enjoyed. It was therapeutic in a way and the one thing Este needed more than anything was something to clear her mind.

She'd been sat at her desk on the Friday afternoon watching the children leave the school from the window when it happened. Este had just rearranged a new vase of white roses next to the still flourishing peonies, ready to start marking a bunch of essays when there had been a knock on her door.

Este turned to see Bella standing there. Her hair was pulled into a slightly ragged ponytail which looked strange against the sharp corners of her face. She was holding onto the strap of her bag, her other hand shoved into her pocket. As usual, Bella's eyes never stayed in one place for long. Este resonated with her awkward behaviour.