(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞) crazy?

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

THE PHONE RANG ON THE SECOND NIGHT. Alice picked it up immediately and Bella, who must've been very lightly sleeping, jumped up and was standing in front of them in an instant. Este watched intently as Alice answered the call.

"He's realised" Carlisle spoke gravely, "but we're following his trail, he's going back to the source. Jasper and Rosalie have eyes on Charlie and we're following him the other direction. There's no reason to think that that he'll run to Arizona, not yet"

"So we stay put?" Alice asked.

"For now, yes" Carlisle replied, "is Bella there? Edward wants to talk to her"

"Yes, hang on" Alice lifted the phone away from her and passed it to Bella. She seemed surprised by this. Unlike Este, Bella hadn't been able to listen to the other side of the call. She took the phone slowly, holding it to her ear. As soon as she heard Edward's voice she turned and walked away to the other room, talking intently.

Este let her words drown out as she rested her head on the sofa behind her. She felt terrible. Este couldn't remember a time she felt like this. Weak, drained, angry. Este was trying to hold on to the niceties of her own personality. She'd been the one to suggest that she should go with Bella and now she wondered what had possessed her to make that decision. Evidently she hadn't thought it through, not with the burden of thirst on her back. Este hadn't even taken that into account, everything had happened so fast.

Fifteen minutes passed before Bella walked back into the room. Este had been lost in her own thoughts again but as Bella was about to hang up the phone, she moved as fast as light and removed it from her grip. Bella jumped, her hand over her heart at the speed in which Este had moved.

"Edward?" Este pressed the phone against her ear as she paced out of the hotel room.

"Don't want to hear it Este—"

"Oh don't be such a prick" Este snapped, "I'm looking after her am I not?"

"What's gotten into you?" Edward sounded bemused, still definitely angered by the alliance he believed was happening between her and Rosalie.

"Put Carlisle on"

"We don't have time for this"

"Don't give me that shit Edward if you have time to talk all loved up with Bella then I have time for this, put him on—"

"Stella what's wrong?" Este was relieved to her the voice of Carlisle as she paced up the steps to the next floor of the hotel. So relieved she forgot some of the anger she'd been holding onto, breathed for the first time in a while and felt the steadily growing weight of burning loosen ever so slightly.

"Carlisle I don't want them to hear this" she spoke quietly. There was a pause in which Este heard Edward yell something along the lines of conspiracy which Carlisle shut down immediately before she heard pacing footsteps and then his voice travelling through the receiver again.