(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫) the storm inside her head

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE DROVE VERY FAST THROUGH THE WINDING roads out of western Washington. Alice had a map she continuously unfolded and re-folded in her hands as she kept a phone tight at hand as though waiting for it to ring. It wouldn't, not yet.

Bella was holding very tight to her seat in the back. She didn't like fast driving, this much was obvious but Este was unable to go any slower. It was as though she was trying to keep up with her mind, trying to find an answer before all hope completely shut down.

The highways were as full as usual. Bright headlights of gold and red shining through every mirror and every corner of Este's eyes. She overtook whenever possible, swerving tyres across the fresh tarmac roads as she skidded further forwards past traffic lights and signs of junctions and mayhem. The sound of car horns became second nature and she struggled down the roads.

Este was nearing the end of the highway when some idiot pulled out in front of her to stop her from passing him. Este hit the car horn very loudly for a rather long period of time causing Bella to jump in the back as though she'd been struck by lightning. Este got the impression that Bella might've been falling asleep, she felt a wave of jealousy before her anger came back.

She rolled down her window, sticking her head out into the cold and stormed night as she yelled a stream of various, prolific insults and choice phrases at whoever was in the car in front.

"Este" Alice sighed, grabbing her arm and pulling her back into the car, "you have to calm down"

"I am calm" Este muttered as she pulled into the next lane and then took a different junction, the map writing itself in her mind as she did so.

"No you're not" Alice spoke gently, "I know you're upset Este—"

"Quit it Alice I'm not upset" Este interrupted, turning her wheel in a fast circle as she rounded a tight corner. Bella stiffened again in her seat, heart racing.

"Este" Alice stared at her intently, "I'm sorry"

"You have nothing to apologise for" Este replied, putting her foot more heartily on the gas as she saw the straight and empty road up ahead, "no one needs to apologise... maybe except for me but that can wait"

"You don't need to apologise Este"

"No I do" Este shook her head as she stared at the stretches of road in front of her, "because Edward's right I did lie to him, I lied to Rose too. I didn't mean to, I did intend to be on their side, always. But I don't know how I feel about all this and I don't think I ever will"

Este had almost forgotten that Bella was sitting in the back seat. It was impossible to completely forget about her. The scent of blood was intoxicating and a lot worse than Este had expected. Even Alice seemed stiff at the aroma of it. Este wished she hadn't honed in on this fact. She was painfully aware that she hadn't hunted in a while, the burning in her throat becoming intolerable. She stopped breathing, throwing all her intent back onto the road.